St. Jude’s Shrine,
Pin : 600 091
Ph : 044 – 226 03 765
Category: Catholic Churches
Karumathampatty was an important Catholic centre from 1640.
Karumathampatty was ruled by a Rajah named Karumuthan and got the name Karumathampatty.
Shrine was dedicated to Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary and became a place of pilgrimage from 1640.
Karumathampatty was the first cradle and headquarters of the Coimbatore Mission till 1850.
It was visited by St. John de Britto who spread Christianity in South India, head of the Madurai Mission and was also martyred in Oriyur, at least on three occasions in between from 1676 – 83 and he celebrated Holy Masses thrice in the Main chapel.
There were two churches during 17 and 18 centuries inside the fort that is cathedral and outside the fort, the small chapel.
The first Shrine was destroyed by the soldiers of the Mysore Rajah Saraboji in 1684 but was rebuilt soon after by the intercession to Our Lady of Holy Rosary. This Shrine was kept intact through the grace of Our Blessed Mother Mary.
The Shrine was again destructed in 1784 during persecution of King Tippu. But the front portion of the Shrine was not destroyed so it used as the Entrance Arch for this shrine until 1995.
The Shrine in its incipient stage was built in 1803 by Fr. Dubois who had obtained from the British.
In 1840, Rev. Fr. J. B. Barrot constructed the belfry (Bell Tower) and in 1908 Rev. Fr. Laphanne built the still eye-catching beautiful Main Alter. These two monuments proclaimed the golden history of this shrine.
Mgr. De Bresillac and Mgr. Godella were consecrated in this Shrine in 1846 and 1857 respectively.
In 1846 Mgr. De Bresillac, Pro- Vicar Apostolic of Coimbatore, resided in Karumathampatty until 1850 when being appointed Vicar Apostolic, he transferred his headquarters to Coimbatore.
Mgr. De Bresillac was the founder of S.M.A. Congregation.
It was here that Rev. Fr. Ravel started the Congregation of Presentation Sisters, on 21 November 1853.
The Seminary of the mission was opened in 1846 In Karumathampatty and remained there in till 1859.
After 1940 various institutions came into existence.
A new Shrine was built in 1995 by Rev. Fr. A. Maria Mudiappan.
Even though this village was affected by wars, dangerous deceases severe famine and so on the grace of Our Lady of Holy Rosary gave boost and strength to the people with stand in all the troubles.
Without any discrimination all kinds of people from VaalPaarai, Ooty, Dharmaburi, Trichy, Madurai, Mysore, Kerala, and North India also are coming to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Holy Rosary Shrine. Especially the People of Ooty are very much attached to Our Lady of holy Rosary.
Every year during the annual Feast all over India who settled from here are coming to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Holy Rosary.
Even today those who come to the feet of Our Lady of Holy Rosary for the Marriage, child, employment, studies, development in business, freedom from the loan, sickness and so on are receiving everything with the faith on Her and Her Son Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Even now on first Saturdays, we have special Novena both in the Morning and evening. A big crowd comes from different parishes.
The Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary is being regularly celebrated every year in a grand manner in the month of October first Sunday.
Miracles and Wonders attributed to the Shrine
– For the Marriage
– For the child
– For the development in Business
– For the Loan of Land and House
– For the Studies
– For the Cure from various sickness
Rev. Fr. Parish Priest,
Holy Rosary Church,
Karumathampatty, Coimbatore 641 659.
Phone : 0421-2332476
Patronal Feast :
Our Lady of Rosary (1st Sunday in October)
For more information please visit: http://www.rosaryshrine.com/
More Churches in Coimbatore:
St. Joseph Church,
Kavundampalayam, 30, Joseph Nagar, Pin – 641 030, Coimbatore Dt – 641 402, Tamil Nadu.
Ramanathapuram, Bharathi Nagar 6th Street, Pin – 641 045, Coimbatore Dt, Tamil Nadu.
R.S.Puram, Coimbatore – 641 002, Tamilnadu.
Marakadai, Coimbatore – 641 001, Tamilnadu.
Puliakulam, Coimbatore – 641 018, Tamilnadu.
Christ The King Church,
Kattoor, Coimbatore – 641 009, Tamilnadu.
Our Lady of Fatima Church,
Gandhipuram, 4th Street extension, Coimbatore – 641 012, Tamilnadu.
Trichy Road, 244, Coimbatore Dt – 641 402, Tamil Nadu.
Infant Jesus Shrine,
Kovaipudhur, Coimbatore – 641 042, Tamilnadu.
Townhall, Big Bazaar Street, Coimbatore – 641 001, Tamilnadu.
St.Francis of Assisi Church,
Ganapathy, Coimbatore – 641 006, Tamilnadu.
Ratnapuri, Coimbatore – 641 027, Tamilnadu.
The Kappal Matha Church also known as Selva Matha Church is located at Uvari , a coastal village on the shores of the Bay of Bengal at a distance of 72 km from Thirunelveli and 40 km from Kanyakumari. The church dedicated to St. Mary is a delightful piece of architecture built in the shape of an aero plane placed over a ship. It was constructed in the year 1974, when the original church was damaged due to sea erosion. The church is facing the blue sea and the moving waves of the sea near gives an impression that this ship shaped church is sailing on the sea.
People gather here for offering prayers to St. Mary on 18th September, which is celebrated as the church festival. There is a story behind this celebration. It is said that there was a practice among the virgins to go to the nunnery in the night and sleep there. On one such occasion, these virgins saw a glittering light encircling the statue of Selvamatha for more than an hour. This was also viewed by several other people and that day is celebrated as the festival day. On that day, a procession is held around the town, by carrying the Selvamatha statue in a chariot.
It is recorded that Madurai was captured by the British in 1763 and detachment of European Troops came to be stationed in the town. Rev.Schwarts, the famous missionary in Tanjore was now and then ministering to the congregation in Madurai. Rev.Fredrick who followed him later planned to build a church on behalf of the S.P.C.K.(Society for Propagation of Christian Knowledge). A small church was built in 1800. This chapel has been described as a small building and a very plain structure.
In 1822, the Europeans in Madurai and other Christians of the Anglican persuasion desired to build a bigger church to meet their growing needs. Mrs.Sophia Elizabeth Rash, then a resident of Madurai possessed some land within the fort and was willing to sell it for a small sum if a church was built upon it. Mr. Daniel Burby, a writer in the collector’s office purchased as much as would be required for the church for Rs.164/= in October 1824 and made it over to the Tanjore Mission. Then a collection was made in the station and a sum of Rs.153/= was raised. The then Collector, Mr. Rhouse Peter (also known as Peter Pandian) added Rs.1,100/= to this; and a chapel was built in 1827 on the site purchased by Mr.Burby. This new church was owned and managed by the Tanjore Mission of S.P.C.K.
In 1868 the S.P.C.K. conveyed the above building to the Bishop of Madras to be held in Trust by him for the purpose of the Church of England. In 1869, Mr.Robert Fischer of Madurai wrote to the Bishop of Madras and placed Rs.1,000/= at his disposal for the improvement and enlargement of the existing chapel or for the erection of a new one. Eventually it was decided that the old church should be demolished and a new one built on the same site.
The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 2nd June, 1875 by Colonel J.F.Fisher, R.E., the District Engineer. The design was prepared by Mr.R. Chisholn, consulting architect to the Government of Madras. The whole expenditure incurred on the building and furniture was Rs.40,000/=.
The sale price of the materials of the old church amounted to Rs.470/=. The whole cost was borne by Mr.Robert Fisher and his sister Mrs.Jessie Foulkes, wife of a Madras chaplain. The new church was consecrated on the 15th of June,1881. The church is built of black stones and it is all called “Stone Church”. The building measured 50 feet length, 25 feet breadth and a 7 feet wide verandah on both sides. The graves of Mr.Rhouse Peter and George Fredrick Fisher with tomb stones are located in a chamber beneath the Altar.
With the passage of time the church was found too small to hold the growing congregation. Consequently steps were taken for extending the fabric of the church. Foundation for the extension was laid in 1968 and the construction was completed in 1970. The consecration took place on the 20th December,1970. In the new church the altar has been shifted from the east to the west. A Community Hall was constructed in 1994.
In 1971, this Church was a substation of St. Louis Church, Adyar. Fr. P.T. Arulappa, the then Parish Priest, St. Louis Church, Adyar and a great Missionary started Our Lady of Vailankanni Church under trying conditions. The Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa, erected it as a separate Parish in 1973. The imposing 97 feet belfry was declared open by the then Chief Minister, Dr. M. Karunanidhi on 27th August 1972.
On 15th August 1985 a bigger Church was blessed and consecrated by Archbishop Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa. By the efforts of Rev. Fr. P.J. Lawrence Raj, several extensions and renovations were made to this Shrine. A beautiful community hall, stalls Museum and class room blocks were constructed in May 2000, nearly 8 grounds were purchased and a beautiful stage was erected and dedicated to Jubilee 2000. In 2001 a small Chapel for the blessed Sacrament was built. In 2002 grotto depicting the miracles of Our Lady of Good Health was created. In 2003 Mother Mary’s Square and Reconciliation Chapel was constructed.
From 2000 to 2003, 3 grounds were purchased in which the new Convent building stands. On 8th September 2005 this Church was decreed as a Shrine of the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore by the Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB, Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore.
Annai Velankanni Shrine
Elliot’s Beach Road,
Besant Nagar, Chennai – 600 020
Phone 044 2491 1246 / 2446 6923
– This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.