Category: Catholic Churches

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Chruch, Ramapuram, Nagercoil

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Chruch,
Ramapuram, Nagercoil, Kanyakumari District.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Chruch

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Chruch 1

Salem Diocese – List of Parishes

Agraharam (Est: 1880)
Holy Spirit Church,
A.N. Mangalam (P.O.), Karippatty Via, Salem – 636 106
Tel: +91 427 2482526

Alagapuram (Est: 1997)
St. Michael’s Church,
Convent Road, Alagapuram, Salem-636016
Tel: +91 427 2440216

Arisipalayam (Est: 1991)
Infant Jesus Cathedral,
Omalur Main Road, Salem – 636 009.
Tel: +91 427 2352526

Attur (Est: 1939)
St. Mary’s Church,
Attur (P.O.), Salem–636102
Tel: +91 4282 250101

Chinnagollapatti (Est: 2008)
Our Lady of Perpetual Help,
Mount Mary Matic. School, Chinnagollapatti, Peryal Nagar, Salem – 636 008
Tel: +91 427 2405520

Elanagar (Est: 1939)
St. Paul’s Church,
Elanagar (P.O.), Via Vela-gaundamppatty Namakkal (Dt) – 637212
Tel: +91 4286 268646

Gangavalli (Est: 1935)
Christ the King Church,
Gangavalli (P.O.), Attur (Tk), Salem – 636105
Tel: +91 4282 232122

Idappadi (Est: 1870)
St. Selvanayagi Church,
Vellandivalasai (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637105
Tel: +91 4283 222260

Jayarakkini Nagar (Est: 2007)
Annai Jayarakkini Church,
Jayarakkini Nagar, Naranampalayam Pudur, Kamalapuram P.O.
Salem – 636309

Johnsonpet (Est: 1924)
St. Antony’s Church,
Johnsonpet, Salem-636007
Tel: +91 427 2416563

Kakkaveri (Est: 1880)
Our Lady Mt. Carmel Church,
Kakkaveri(P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637 415
Tel: +91 4287 223620

Karumandurai (Est: 2008)
St.Francis of Assisi Church,
Assisi Institute, Sagayapuram, Karumandurai P.O, Karlrayan Hills – 636138, Salem Dt.
Tel: +91 4292 239170

Koneripatti (Est: 1900)
St. Mary’s Church,
Koneripatty(P.O), Salem (Dt) – 636113,
Tel: +91 4282 226004

Kongrapatti (Est: 1997)
St. Sebastian Church,
V.Kongarapatty, Via Kadayampatty Salem (Dt), 636 351
Tel: +91 9443516910

Kootatturpatti (Est: 2010)
St. Sabastian Church,
Kootatturpatti P.O. Valapadi TK, Salem Dt – 636139.

Kosavampatti (Est: 1934)
St. Francis Xavier’s Church,
S.Udupam(P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637019
Tel: +91 4286 244313

Kumarapalayam (Est: 2012)
Our Lady Of Rosary Church,
J.K.K. Natarajar Nagar, Kumarapalayam – 638 183
Namakkal Dt.

Kunnamalai (Est: 1936)
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church,
Kunnamalai (P.O.), Kandampalayam Via, Namakkal (Dt) – 637203
Tel: +91 4268 260632

Manjakultai (Est: 2012)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Graigmore, Manjakultai P.O, Yercaud – 636602
Salem Dt.

Marilapalayam (Est: 2010)
St. Sebastian Church,
Marilapalayam, Via. Mettur Dam – 636 452, Salem Dt

Mathiyampatti (Est: 1927)
St. Mary Magdalene Church,
Mamundi (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) 637 503
Tel: +91 4287 260223

Mettur Dam (Est: 1902)
Our Lady of Assumption Church,
Mettur dam (p.o.), Salem (dt) – 636401
Tel: +91 4298 244345

Nagalur (Est: 2010)
Sagayamatha Church,
Nagalur P.O, Yercaud – 636 602. Salem Dt

Namagiripettai (Est: 2011)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Namagiripettai P.O. Via. Rasipuram – 637406. Namakkul Dr.

Namakkal (Est: 1928)
Christ the King Church,
Namakkal (Dt), 637 001
Tel: +91 4286 223537

Pallipalayam (Est: 2008)
St. Antony’s Charch,
TVS Medu, Thiruchengode Road, Pallipalauam P.O. Erode – 638 006
Tel: +91 9442749177

Paramathi (Est: 2001)
Amala Annai Church,
Velur Road, Paramathi, Namakkal-Dt
Tel: +91 4268 251699

Perunkurrichi (Est: 1942)
Our Lady of Lourdes Church,
Perunkurichy(P.O.), Paramathi (Tk), Namakkal (Dt) – 637201
Tel: +91 4288 242080

Pettaipalayam (Est: 1975)
Pettaipalayam (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637015
Tel: +91 4286 255852

Pudupalayam (Est: 1973)
Assumption Church,
Pudupalayam (P.O.), Rasipuram (Tk), Namakkal (Dt) 637408
Tel: +91 4287 – 223732

Pungavadi (Est: 2004)
Our Lady of Headlth Church,
Pungavadi (P.O), Attur Talik, Salem Dt – 636 141
Tel: +91 4282 275111

Rasipuram (Est: 1989)
Our Lady of Lourdes Church,
Rasipuram (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637408
Tel: +91 4287 226766

Sadayampalayam (Est: 1972)
St. Sebastian Church,
Samiampalayam (P.O.) Salem (Dt) – 638183
Tel: +91 4288 263022

Salem Camp (Est: 1947)
St. Joseph Church,
Salem Camp, Salem (Dt) 636 456
Tel: +91 4298 – 240758

Sankari (Est: 1975)
St. Antony’s Church,
Sangagiri (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637301
Tel: +91 4283 – 241234

Sanyasigundu (Est: 1990)
St. Joseph Church,
Sanyasigundu, Kichipalayam (P.O.), Salem – 636015
Tel: +91 427 – 2261557

Savariyarpalayam (Est: 1980)
St. Francis Xavier Church,
Saveriarpalayam (P.O.), Mettur (TK), Salem (Dt) – 636303
Tel: +91 4298 – 251891

Settipatti (Est: 1890)
St. Peter and Paul Church,
R.C. Settipatti (P.O.), Salem (Dt) 636 455
Tel: +91 4290 – 222285

Semmedu (Est: 2004)
Infact Jesus Church,
Karayankadu (P.O.), Vasalur Road, Kolli Hills – 637411. Namakkal Dt
Tel: +91 4286 – 247497

Sendamangalam (Est: 2004)
Arockia Matha Church,
Ghandhipuram, Sendamangala – 637 409. Namakkal Dt
Tel: +91 4286 – 292088

Sendarapatti (Est: 1990)
Sacred Heart Church,
Siluvaigiri, Thagarapudur (P.O.). Salem (Dt) – 636110
Tel: +91 4290 – 228777

Shevapet (Est: 1858)
St. Mary’s Co- Cathedral,
Shevapet (P.O.), Salem – 636 002.
Tel: +91 427 – 2218882

Siluvaigiri (Est: 2006)
R.C. Church,
Siluvaigiri, Thagarapudhr P.O. Gangavalli Tk, Salem – 636110
Tel: +91 42828 – 295234

Solasiramani (Est: 2005)
Our Lady of Good Health Church,
Solasiramani, Pachampalayam (P.O.), Paramathi Taluk, Namakkal Dt – 637 210
Tel: +91 4288 – 222164

S.P.B Colony (Est: 1982)
Holy Trinity Church,
Spb Colony, Erode – 638010, Namakkal (Dt)
Tel: +91 4286 – 223537

Steel Plant (Est: 1993)
St. Jude’s Church,
Mohan Nagar, Salem – 636 030
Tel: +91 427 – 2383587

Suramangalam (Est: 1924)
Sacred Heart Church,
Suramangalam (P.O.), Salem – 636005
Tel: +91 427 – 2445480

Thalaivasal (Est: 2004)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Thalaaivasal P.O. Salem – 636112
Tel: +91 4282 – 230461

Tharamangalam (Est: 1980)
St. Charles Boromeo Church,
Tharamangalam (P.O.), Salem – (Dt) 636502
Tel: +91 4290 – 252210

Thirumanur (Est: 2010)
John the Baptist Church,
Thirumanur – 636202, Via Mangalapuram, Salem Dt

Thumbal (Est: 1978)
St. Mary’s Church,
Thumbal (P.O.), Salem (Dt) 636 114
Tel: +91 4292 – 245949

Thiruchengode (Est: 1936)
St. Mary’s Church,
Tiruchengode (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637211
Tel: +91 4288 – 284900

Udayapatti (Est: 1997)
Our Lady of Good Health Church,
Udyappatty – Salem.
Res: Jyothi Dharshan,
Masinaikanpatty,
Ayothiapatnam (P.O.), Salem – 636 103
Tel: +91 427-243032

Valapaddy (Est: 1958)
St. Pius X Church,
Valappady (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 636115
Tel: +91 4292 – 222342

Vellapalayam (Est: 1970)
St. Mary Magdalene Church,
Thevur (Via), Kaveripatty (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637104
Tel: +91 4283 – 232494

Yercaud (Est: 1934)
Sacred Heart Church,
Yercaud (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 636601
Tel: +91 4281 – 222348

Salem Diocese

The Diocese of Salem comprises of civil districts of Salem and Namakkal. In 1623 Southern Kongunadu, part of Salem District, under Madurai Nayakkars accepted Christianity, through Fr. Robert De Nobili, S.J. and his successors, the Portuguese Jesuits of the Madurai Mission. About 1654, the Italian Jesuits of the Mysore mission had a residence near Hosur. In 1687, the Mysore Mission laboured in the entire area of the present diocese. Fr. De Cunha died in 1711 at Kapiganathi near Hosur. Even after the suppression of their Society, the Jesuits under the jurisdiction of Cranganore, worked to the last in the field.

In 1785, during Tippu Sulttan’s rule, Msgr. Champenois, Superior of the Malabar Mission, was entrusted by Rome with the Mysore Mission, which took care of Salem. He was the first Bishop to visit Salem. Salem Mission was brought under the Brirtish rule, and he left in charge there “Fr. Abbe Dubois”, who strove to restore the devastated mission. From 1797, Kartenaras from Cranganore intruded into Salem till they left about 1833.

The area continued to depend on the Coromandal mission. Later it came under the Vicariate Apostolic of Pondicherry, which in 1886 became an Archdiocese. This set up continued till 1930 except for Hosur Taluk which had been entrusted from 1861 to the area of Mysore and for the southeast which was joined in 1899 to the Diocese of Kumbakonam.

On May 26, 1930 the Diocese of Salem was erected from the parts of Salem District and from parts under the jurisdiction of Pondicherry Diocese (6 parishes), Kumbakonam Diocese (3 parishes), Mysore Diocese (1 parish) and in 1943 the Western portion of Mettur Taluk (2 parishes) was added.

In 1949, the Diocese of Salem was entrusted to an Indian, its second Bishop Rt. Rev. V.S. Selvanather. Diocese of Dharmapuri was bifurcated from the Diocese of Salem according to the communique released on February 28,1997. The Holy Father appointed Msgr. Joseph Antony Irudaya Raj, SDB as the first Bishop of Dharmapuri.

Cathedral:

Salem Cathdral

ARISIPALAYAM PARISH
The parish of Arisipalayam was bifurcated from Shevapet in 1953 and was erected as St. Francis Xavier’s parish. The chapel of St. Francis Xavier’s Minor Seminary served as the parish church till 1991.

The New Cathedral was consecrated on 27th November 1991, and dedicated to Infant Jesus. This magnificent Cathedral was meticulously planned and carefully constructed with strenuous efforts by late Bishop Most Rev. Dr. Michael B. Duraisamy, as his last monument and gift to the diocese of Salem. Very Rev. Fr. S. Amalraj was asked to continue as the first Parish Priest of the Infant Jesus Cathedral parish, since he was already the Parish Priest of St. Xavier’s Church at Arisipalayam. He was in-charge of the Parish till to 13th June 1992. Rev. Fr. S. Savari was appointed as the second Parish Priest. He continued to be the parish Priest up to 20th July 1998. Rev. Fr. M.S. Martin succeeded Fr. S. Savari from 1998 till 2004. Fr. S. Pushpanathan was parish priest till 2009. Fr. A. Singarayan is the Present parish priest.

The cathedral Parish can be divided into two main areas: Arisipalayam and Peramanur. Omalur main Road is dividing these two areas. There are five sectors in Arisipalayam area: Arisipalayam, Mullakkadu, Saminathapuram, Angammal Colony and Pallapatti-Meiyanur. In Peramanur area also there are five sectors Peramanur, Chinnapudur, Sankar Nagar, Fairlands and Alagapuram.

Mostly teachers, Government Employees, Business people, a few doctors, lawyers and Engineers live in Peramanur area. Carpenters, Masons, Daily Coolies, Merchants, Teachers with few doctors and engineers reside at Arisipalayam area.

Parish Administration

Parish Priest is Responsible for the administration of the parish. He shares his responsibility with the assistant Parish Priest. Apart from this, there is the parish council with 25 members, representatives of various sections of the parish. Every month in the second week, the parish council meets to plan and discuss the matters that pertain to the parish.
Contact:
Bishop’s House
P.O.Box 703, 2, Court Road,
Maravaneri, Salem – 636 007
Tamilnadu, INDIA

Bishop’s House (Office) 0427 2415641

Fax 0427 2411517
Procurator 0427 2420148

For more information please visit: http://salemdiocese.org/

Church Of Holy Euhcarist, Nallur, Tirupur

History of Nallur Parish

Bifurcation of Nallur from the Parish of Tirupur

There are two parishes in Tirupur, one at Kumar Nagar and another at the town which is close to railway junction. The Parish at the centre of the town is the first and the biggest and it has three big sub stations and the number of catholic families is little more than 2000. Tirupur is now called “Hosiery Town” and the importance of the town goes down to 1900 when there was the cotton market and gradually emerging as a textile town. Though the presence of Christianity dates back much before than 1900, the small chapel was built for the first time in the existing parish church was in 1902. The town was instituted as a separate parish in the year 1934. Since then the town got expanded and so the catholic population and another Parish was instituted within the town in the year1982. Now after a gap of almost 30 years, Nallur has been made as a separate parish, dedicated to the most HOLY EUCHARIST.

HolyEucharist-Nalloor

The new parish bifurcated from this parish has now more than 600 families. The new parish has a sub-station St.Antony’s Church, Veerapondi with 60 Families.

Construction of the parish church is now going on.

First Parish Priest is Rev.Fr A L Sundar Raj

Mass Timings:

Weekdays : Mon- Sat 6.30 am
Sunday : 7.30 a.m, (Tamil)

Church Of Holy Euhcarist
No.1, Narkarunai Nagar,
Lakshmi Nagar Extn, Muthanampalayam Road,
Nallur, Tirupur – 641 606

Phone No. +91 98422 20904

(Estd. 2011 – Area: 25 Kms)

For more information please visit: www.holy-eucharist.org
Mail us: churchofholyeucharist@gmail.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/churchofholy.eucharist.1

Our Lady of Fatima Church (Infant Jesus Church), Peraiyur Road, Usilampatti, Madurai

Usilampatti was an ancient mission of the Archdiocese. It was the missionary center for the “Piranmalai Kallar” community. This center originally consisted of the present parishes such as Karumattur, Thirumangalam and Theni. At his period of Office, Fr. Vedamanickam built a new church dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima and the rectory. Now the present parish has 144 families and 728 is the Catholic population of the parish. Main occupation of the parishioners is agriculture and some are teachers. The new parochial church was constructed in 1996 and the new presbytery was constructed in 1997.

Contact:
Our Lady of Fatima Church,
Infant Jesus Church,
Peraiyur Road,
Usilampatti – 625 532,
Madurai – Dt.
Tel: +91 4552 252103

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/our-lady-of-fatima-church-usilampatti/

Keyword: Infant Jesus Church Usilampatti Madurai, Usilampatti Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

St. Vincent Pallotti Church, Thirunagar, Madurai

The beginnings of the mission at Thirunagar could be traced back to the Usilampatti mission of Fr. Clement Montaud, SJ, who established the Stella Mary Church at Thanakkankulam. In the year 1949, there were only two catholic families in Thirunagar. The Holy Rosary Church began to provide for their pastoral needs. In 1962 the CIC sisters came to Thriunagar and the mission began to take shape. Later, His Grace Dr. Justin Diraviam entrusted the pastoral care of the faithful at Thirunagar to the Redemptorists. The arrival of the religious communities such as St. Charles’ Sisters, Sisters of St. Annes, and St. Joseph of Tarbes further widened the mission endeavor and necessitated the establishment of a parish. On 10 December 1978, Thirunagar was erected as a parish and the pastoral care of it was entrusted to the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottine Fathers and Brothers) by His Grace Dr. Justin Diraviam. Fr. Manfred Hauck was appointed as the first parish priest. A magnificent Church was built and inaugurated on 19 March 1983. Now at present, the parish consititutes of 245 families. The Catholics at Thirunagar are settlers from different parts of Tamil Nadu; A good number of repatriate Tamilis from Burma (Myanmar) and Sri Lanka also form part of the parish community.

Contact:
St. Vincent Pallotti Church,
Thirunagar,
Madurai – 625 006.
Tel: +91 452 2484385

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/st-vincent-pallotti-church-thirunagar/

Keyword: Vincent Pallotti Church Thirunagar Madurai, Thirunagar Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

Amala Annai Church, Nirmala Ashram, Thirumangalam Post, Madurai

Patron Saint: Our Lady of Immaculate Conception

Thirumangalam is 20 Kms south of Madurai en route to Kanyakumari on the National Highway No. 7. Amala Annai Church is located just on the National Highway. In front of the church are the Taluk and Munsiff Courts, Prison, Taluk Office, Registrar’s Office and sub-treasury. Behind the church are the Government Hospital and Head Post Office. At the right side of the church lie the Municipal Office and Traveller’s Bungalow.

Most Rev. Justin Diraviam invited the Capuchins to work in Madurai Archdiocese. The pioneers, Frs. Mark OFM Cap. and Mathias OFM Cap., worked in Kalladithidal in Ramnad district before Fr. Mathias could find a suitable place for the Capuchin mission in Thirumangalam. The present site with a small chapel (circumference of the area – 7350 sq. metres) was given to the Capuchins, and they were asked to take up the mission parish of Usilampatti itself in which lay Thirumangalam. The foundation in Thirumangalam was blessed by the Archbishop on 8th December 1970. The construction of the new chapel began in February 1974, and completed in December 1976. Thirumangalam was raised to the status of a parish in 1994, and Fr. Benjamin OFM Cap. was the first official Parish Priest.

The approximate population of Thirumangalam at present is 50200, among whom Catholics number around 600. The main occupation of the locals is self employment. The Capuchins take care of four substations namely, Sathangudi, T. Kallupatti, Odaipatty and Uchapatti Srilankan refugee’s camp. Fr. Arockiam OFM Cap. is the present Parish Priest. There are five religious communities in the Parish: Capuchins, FMM Sisters, CIC Sisters, FIHM Sisters and St. Joseph of Tharbs Sisters.

Contact:
Amala Annai Church,
Nirmala Ashram,
Thirumangalam Post,
Madurai – 625706.
Tel: +91 4549 280587

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/amala-annai-church-thirumangalam/

Keyword: Amala Annai Church Thirumangalam Madurai, Thirumangalam Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

Christ the King Church, Vilangudi, Madurai

Christ the King parish was earlier the substation of Anjal Nagar parish taken care of by the Redemptorist fathers. At the time of Archbishop Casimir the local people wanted to have a place of prayer so that they would not suffer going a long distance to Anjal nagar crossing the busy national high ways. With the help of the local parishioner Mr. S.M. Raj, a plot was bought by Fr. Vedamanickam, the Procurator and later another small plot was bought adjacent to the earlier one during the time of Rev. Fr. Gnanam CSSR, Parish Priest, Anjal Nagar. The construction of the magnificient church was done by Fr. Dhivyanandam, the Procurator with the help of Eng. Kitcheley. Archbishop Arockiasamy erected it an independent parish in 1994 when Fr. Antony, CSSR, was the parish priest. The circumference of this parish is 4 kilometers, having as border, NH7 Madurai-Dindigul Main Road in the East, Kondamari in the West, NH7 Madurai-dindigul Main Road in the North and North bank of Vaigai River in the South. It has two substations. The Catholic population is 2000 out of the total population of this area, 7000. Most of the parishioners are Government Employees, Private Companies Employees, Agriculture Coolies, Professors, Teachers and Construction workers.

The parish church and the presbytery were constructed in 1994 when the parish was erected. Fr. Soosai Michael Raj constructed and started an English Medium School in 1997. Fr. John Diraviam, in his term, constructed a magnificient Grotto of Blessed Virgin Mary in the Marian year 2003 at the entrance where a simple statue of Our Lady was installed by Fr. John Martin in 1995. Fr. John Diraviam constructed a new church in CAS Colony, the substation and instituted regular novena mass to St. John De Britto on Wednesdays. Fr. Edwin, during his time, extended the parish church and the altar. Land was bought for Kondamari people and was distributed to the Kondamari villagers.

Now in 2009 the parish was elevated into a Vicariate center of Madurai North Vicariate. At the time of Fr. Antony Rajan, the p,p and the V.F., the archdiocese has invested a considerable amount of money to put up buildings for Christ the King Eng. Medium School. Contract is made by the diocese that it would run the school for certain period of time to take back the investment on multiple storied buildings.

Contact:
Christ the King Church,
Income Tax Colony,
Vilangudi,
Madurai -625 018.

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/christ-the-king-church-sengole-nagar/

Keyword: Christ the King Church Vilangudi Madurai, Sengole Nagar Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

St. Germaine Quasi parish (St. Germaine Chruch), Rayapuram, Madurai

The Church of Rayapuram near Sholavandan, via Nagari from the Dindigul -Main Road is situated about 20 k.m. away from Madurai. The shrine is named after Germaine Cousin, who was born in Pibrac, which is near Toulouse, a town in France, from which Province came in, during the 16th century, the French Jesuits to establish Madurai Mission. The first archbishop of Madurai Most Rev. Leonard and the Vicar General Fr. Trincal are from Toulouse province. Rayapuram is named after Fr. Labarthiere S.J. who started the missionary expedition in Madurai Mission. Labarthiere in English is Peter. Fr. Labarthiere is the founder of Rayapuram Farm and the Church.

Inspired by the heroic virtue of the shepherdess girl, Germaine Cousin of his own native origin, Fr. Labarthiere brought the statue of the saint and installed under a thatched roof with the help of Mr. Vedam and Soosai Pillai. The thatched roof was put up some 125 years ago and he bought lands around the place and settled the Catholics around the place. After the period of Fr. Labarthiere (1912), his successor Fr. Sebarthiere SJ developed the Chruch. In 1935 Fr. Astruc SJ became the Jesuit Mission Procurator.

In course of time the devotion spread out through the southern districts of Madurai Mission and people flocked to this little shrine as the saint was attributed to a lot of miracles. In 1912 there were only 70 people around the church and at present there are 700 people living in this quasi parish.

As the old shrine was in dilapidated condition, the century old church was demolished and an artistic new bigger Shrine was built with the help of the local parishioners and pilgrims, and of the generous help of the Jesuits of St. Mary’s community in consultation with the Jesuit Madurai Province. It was the hard work of the Jesuit Brothers and Jesuit Procurators that caused the emergence of such a huge church in an unknown village. On 18th April 2009 the Shrine was consecrated by the Archbishop of Madurai, Most Rev. Peter Fernando in the presence of Jesuit Provincial, Fr. Devadoss.

The total population of this parish is 149 families (700 members); 45 people of 15 Hindu families live side by side. 90% of the Catholics are Dalit Christians and their occupation is farming and mill work. This is a quasi parish without a Presbytery and the Jesuits are entrusted with the pastoral care of this quasi parish. The Second Sunday after Easter is the parochial feast day which attracts the pilgrims from the surrounding villages.

Contact:
St. Germaine Quasi parish
St. Germaine Chruch,
Rayapuram,
Thiruvedagam,
Madurai Dt. – 625 234
Tel: +91 4543 258282

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/st-germaine-quasi-parish-rayapuram/

Keyword: St. Germaine Chruch Rayapuram Madurai, Rayapuram Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

Holy Rosary Church, Town Hall Road, Madurai

The Holy Rosary Church is situated at the Heart of the city. The territory includes important places like Shri Meenakshiamman Temple, Periyar Bus stand, Railway Junction. From Vaigai River, the southern Boundary extends up to Madurai Airport. In 1592, the Jesuits started their Madurai Mission with a small chapel of Our Lady, ministered by Fr. Fernandez. Robert De Nobili and Joseph Beschi followed him. From a letter of 1763 we learn that Yousuf Khan, opposing the English, had with him 400 French Soldiers (Catholics) for whom “a beautiful church” was built near the West Gate. 1770 onwards a Jesuit Missionary was serving the people around this Rosary Church. After the suppression of the Society in 1773, this church was in the hands of Padroado Priests.

In 1939 Fr. Yuvenat started the school. In 1966 Fr. De Cruz took in charge of the parish and built the new church according to the liturgical renewal emanated from second Vatican Council. In 1967 the Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help was started. The new presbytery was built by Fr. Joseph Xavier. The parish has 4 substations namely, Solaialagupuram, Perungudi, St. Antony’s Street and Simmakkal. There are about 380 Catholic families living here. Rev. Fr. Angel is the parish priest and the Vicar Forane of Madurai South Vicariate.

Contact:
Holy Rosary Church,
Town Hall Road,
Madurai – 625 001
Saint: Our Lady of Holy Rosary
Tel: +91 452 2343490

For more information please visit:
http://www.archdioceseofmadurai.org/holy-rosary-church-rosary-church/

Keyword: Holy Rosary Church Town Hall Road Madurai, Town Hall Road Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India