The Holy Rosary Church is situated at the Heart of the city. The territory includes important places like Shri Meenakshiamman Temple, Periyar Bus stand, Railway Junction. From Vaigai River, the southern Boundary extends up to Madurai Airport. In 1592, the Jesuits started their Madurai Mission with a small chapel of Our Lady, ministered by Fr. Fernandez. Robert De Nobili and Joseph Beschi followed him. From a letter of 1763 we learn that Yousuf Khan, opposing the English, had with him 400 French Soldiers (Catholics) for whom “a beautiful church” was built near the West Gate. 1770 onwards a Jesuit Missionary was serving the people around this Rosary Church. After the suppression of the Society in 1773, this church was in the hands of Padroado Priests.
In 1939 Fr. Yuvenat started the school. In 1966 Fr. De Cruz took in charge of the parish and built the new church according to the liturgical renewal emanated from second Vatican Council. In 1967 the Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help was started. The new presbytery was built by Fr. Joseph Xavier. The parish has 4 substations namely, Solaialagupuram, Perungudi, St. Antony’s Street and Simmakkal. There are about 380 Catholic families living here. Rev. Fr. Angel is the parish priest and the Vicar Forane of Madurai South Vicariate.
Holy Rosary Church,
Town Hall Road,
Madurai – 625 001
Saint: Our Lady of Holy Rosary
Tel: +91 452 2343490
For more information please visit:
Keyword: Holy Rosary Church Town Hall Road Madurai, Town Hall Road Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India