The beginnings of the mission at Thirunagar could be traced back to the Usilampatti mission of Fr. Clement Montaud, SJ, who established the Stella Mary Church at Thanakkankulam. In the year 1949, there were only two catholic families in Thirunagar. The Holy Rosary Church began to provide for their pastoral needs. In 1962 the CIC sisters came to Thriunagar and the mission began to take shape. Later, His Grace Dr. Justin Diraviam entrusted the pastoral care of the faithful at Thirunagar to the Redemptorists. The arrival of the religious communities such as St. Charles’ Sisters, Sisters of St. Annes, and St. Joseph of Tarbes further widened the mission endeavor and necessitated the establishment of a parish. On 10 December 1978, Thirunagar was erected as a parish and the pastoral care of it was entrusted to the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottine Fathers and Brothers) by His Grace Dr. Justin Diraviam. Fr. Manfred Hauck was appointed as the first parish priest. A magnificent Church was built and inaugurated on 19 March 1983. Now at present, the parish consititutes of 245 families. The Catholics at Thirunagar are settlers from different parts of Tamil Nadu; A good number of repatriate Tamilis from Burma (Myanmar) and Sri Lanka also form part of the parish community.
St. Vincent Pallotti Church,
Madurai – 625 006.
Tel: +91 452 2484385
For more information please visit:
Keyword: Vincent Pallotti Church Thirunagar Madurai, Thirunagar Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India