Category: Madurai

Arockia Annai Church, Vadipatty, Madurai

Parish Name: Arockia Annai Church
Vadimanagar, Vadipatty, Madurai dt., Tamil nadu
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Good Health


Arockia Annai Church, Vadipatty, the first SVD parish in Tamil Nadu was started in October 10, 1993. Fr. Vijay Amal Raj SVD was the first parish priest. The presbytery was constructed in 1994 and the parish Church was completed and was blessed by His Grace Dr. M. Arockia Samy, the Archbishop of Madurai on June 6, 1999. Since then Dr. S. M. Mary John SVD is the Parish priest who developed the small Church into a renowned Church in Tamilnadu by his tireless and zealous ministry. He is followed by Fr. Blaise. Total population of Vadipatti is 30,600 in which we have 300 Catholics. We have four sub-stations namely, Alanganallur (total population 15,000 in which catholic population is 144), Kuravankulam (total population 3600, in which catholic population is 62), Mariammalkulam (total population 842, in which catholic population is 200) and Sanampatti, (total population 3630, in which catholic population is 83). It was proclaimed by the parish priest Rev. Dr. Mary John SVD, on his own accord, that on Sept 8, 2001, there happened an oozing out of water (the miraculous holy spring -Yesuvin Arumarunthu) from the tiled floor of the Church just below the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mother, the right side of the altar. Later this was considered a miracle and the holy water (pumped from this source) was offered to the pilgrims who throng to the church in thousands every week. This parish has emerged as the very important church that attracts thousands of pilgrims from all over the world. Many pilgrims experience physical, spiritual and psychological healings. It attracts many Hindus and Muslims because of the powerful healing presence of Jesus in the liturgical services that are conducted with utmost pastoral care. The annual feast of this Shrine is celebrated with pomp and glory every year from August 29th to September 08th.


Vadipatti Matha Kovil
Madurai – Dindigul Main Road,
Madurai – 625 218
Telephone No: 04543-254499

Bus routes to Vadipatti Matha Shrine:
Madurai Arapplayam Bus Stand is a Major junction for go to Vadipatti,
Busses are available at any time.

Then Buses are available from
Periayar Bus Stand (Bus No. 71)
Anna Buss Stand (Bus No. 71A)

For more information please visit:


Keyword: Vadipatti Matha Kovil, Vadipatti Matha Church, Arockia Annai Church Vadipatty, Vadipatty Church, Vadipatti Church Madurai

St.Lourdes Shrine, Madurai

As a sizable population of Catholics were living in Kosakulam Pudur, which was in the territory of Our Lady of Dolours Parish, Fr. Endaline S.J. bought a piece of land in K. Pudur, on the very site where the present church stands, and built a small church of Our Lady of Lourdes, in 1920. In 1931 Fr. Gabriel Gomez, S.J. enlarged the church and brought the C.I.C. sisters to start a Primary School When in 1938 Madurai diocese was born and the Bishop’s house was built in K. Pudur, this church of Our Lady of Lourdes became important. The city expanded; transport facilities increased; more Catholic families came to settle down in K. Pudur. Fr. Pudumai who was in the Bishop’s House regularly went to cater to the spiritual needs of K. Pudur Catholics.

In 1951 K. Pudur was canonically erected as a new parish with Fr. M. T. Amalaraj, S.J. as its first parish priest. The rapid growth of the Catholic population necessitated the expansion of the church which Fr. M.T. Amalaraj undertook and finished in 1958. Christmas night of 1960 was especially a joyous night for this church as it was announced to be the Cathedral of the diocese, and Fr. Silverius, S.J. was the parish priest. Mgr. Diraviam took possession of the Archdiocese in the church on 29th June 1967, the same year Fr. S. Irudayam, the V.G. was the parish priest. But this privilege of being the Cathedral was shortlived. In 1970 Our Lady of Dolours church became the Cathedral and Fr. T,A. Michael took charge of the parish of K. Pudur, in 1972.

A new flavour was added to the apostolate of the Archdiocess when on 24th September 1975 when the Salesians of Don Bosco took charge of K. Pudur Parish. Fr. Vincent Durai Raj was the first Salesian Parish Priest. He had the privilege of celebrating the Silver Jubilee of the Parish and of starting Don Bosco Yourth Centre and building the upstairs of the parish house. During the time of Fr. Jeswanth in 1977, the building of the Don Bosco Youth Centre camp up, a place for cemetery was acquired, Sarvodaya building for girls was built, R.C. Primary School and Kadachanendal was raised to be a Middle School. Don Bosco Primary School was built at Quarry (Yanamalai) and dispensaries at Yanamalai and Mangalapuram were entrusted to the care of Leuca Sisters. When in 1980 Fr. Jeganathan became parish priest. St. Antony’s church was blessed at Kadachanendal, the Community Hall was put up in Sandanamada Street and Don Bosco Foot Ball and Volley Ball Tournaments were conducted for Youth in State level. Then came Fr. Christy in 1982, who was responsible for the women’s cottage industry at Lourdu Nagar. From 1985 Fr. A. T. James was is the parish priest. Fr. Edward Xavier and Jeganathan were assistants. During his period the church of Mary Help of Christians was built in B.B. Kulam, Don Bosco Non-formal Technical School was put up and started functioning, Don Bosco Foot Ball and Volley Ball Tournaments were continued; for the help of poor children tuition centers were begun in four villages; occasionally Good News conventions have been conducted. The Catholics are making their Christian life fuller through associations like Vincent de Paul Society, Legion of Mary, Don Bosco Youth Centre, Charismatic Group etc. The Parish Priest is planning to build a High School for boys to renew the church building, to make the Sellur area into a new parish and to build houses for the poor.

St.Lourdes Shrine,
K. Pudhur, Madurai – 625007.
Tamilnadu, INDIA.

For more information please visit:

St. George’s Church, Madurai

It is recorded that Madurai was captured by the British in 1763 and detachment of European Troops came to be stationed in the town. Rev.Schwarts, the famous missionary in Tanjore was now and then ministering to the congregation in Madurai. Rev.Fredrick who followed him later planned to build a church on behalf of the S.P.C.K.(Society for Propagation of Christian Knowledge). A small church was built in 1800. This chapel has been described as a small building and a very plain structure.

In 1822, the Europeans in Madurai and other Christians of the Anglican persuasion desired to build a bigger church to meet their growing needs. Mrs.Sophia Elizabeth Rash, then a resident of Madurai possessed some land within the fort and was willing to sell it for a small sum if a church was built upon it. Mr. Daniel Burby, a writer in the collector’s office purchased as much as would be required for the church for Rs.164/= in October 1824 and made it over to the Tanjore Mission. Then a collection was made in the station and a sum of Rs.153/= was raised. The then Collector, Mr. Rhouse Peter (also known as Peter Pandian) added Rs.1,100/= to this; and a chapel was built in 1827 on the site purchased by Mr.Burby. This new church was owned and managed by the Tanjore Mission of S.P.C.K.

In 1868 the S.P.C.K. conveyed the above building to the Bishop of Madras to be held in Trust by him for the purpose of the Church of England. In 1869, Mr.Robert Fischer of Madurai wrote to the Bishop of Madras and placed Rs.1,000/= at his disposal for the improvement and enlargement of the existing chapel or for the erection of a new one. Eventually it was decided that the old church should be demolished and a new one built on the same site.

The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 2nd June, 1875 by Colonel J.F.Fisher, R.E., the District Engineer. The design was prepared by Mr.R. Chisholn, consulting architect to the Government of Madras. The whole expenditure incurred on the building and furniture was Rs.40,000/=.

The sale price of the materials of the old church amounted to Rs.470/=. The whole cost was borne by Mr.Robert Fisher and his sister Mrs.Jessie Foulkes, wife of a Madras chaplain. The new church was consecrated on the 15th of June,1881. The church is built of black stones and it is all called “Stone Church”. The building measured 50 feet length, 25 feet breadth and a 7 feet wide verandah on both sides. The graves of Mr.Rhouse Peter and George Fredrick Fisher with tomb stones are located in a chamber beneath the Altar.

With the passage of time the church was found too small to hold the growing congregation. Consequently steps were taken for extending the fabric of the church. Foundation for the extension was laid in 1968 and the construction was completed in 1970. The consecration took place on the 20th December,1970. In the new church the altar has been shifted from the east to the west. A Community Hall was constructed in 1994.