Category: Salem

Salem Diocese – List of Parishes

Agraharam (Est: 1880)
Holy Spirit Church,
A.N. Mangalam (P.O.), Karippatty Via, Salem – 636 106
Tel: +91 427 2482526

Alagapuram (Est: 1997)
St. Michael’s Church,
Convent Road, Alagapuram, Salem-636016
Tel: +91 427 2440216

Arisipalayam (Est: 1991)
Infant Jesus Cathedral,
Omalur Main Road, Salem – 636 009.
Tel: +91 427 2352526

Attur (Est: 1939)
St. Mary’s Church,
Attur (P.O.), Salem–636102
Tel: +91 4282 250101

Chinnagollapatti (Est: 2008)
Our Lady of Perpetual Help,
Mount Mary Matic. School, Chinnagollapatti, Peryal Nagar, Salem – 636 008
Tel: +91 427 2405520

Elanagar (Est: 1939)
St. Paul’s Church,
Elanagar (P.O.), Via Vela-gaundamppatty Namakkal (Dt) – 637212
Tel: +91 4286 268646

Gangavalli (Est: 1935)
Christ the King Church,
Gangavalli (P.O.), Attur (Tk), Salem – 636105
Tel: +91 4282 232122

Idappadi (Est: 1870)
St. Selvanayagi Church,
Vellandivalasai (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637105
Tel: +91 4283 222260

Jayarakkini Nagar (Est: 2007)
Annai Jayarakkini Church,
Jayarakkini Nagar, Naranampalayam Pudur, Kamalapuram P.O.
Salem – 636309

Johnsonpet (Est: 1924)
St. Antony’s Church,
Johnsonpet, Salem-636007
Tel: +91 427 2416563

Kakkaveri (Est: 1880)
Our Lady Mt. Carmel Church,
Kakkaveri(P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637 415
Tel: +91 4287 223620

Karumandurai (Est: 2008)
St.Francis of Assisi Church,
Assisi Institute, Sagayapuram, Karumandurai P.O, Karlrayan Hills – 636138, Salem Dt.
Tel: +91 4292 239170

Koneripatti (Est: 1900)
St. Mary’s Church,
Koneripatty(P.O), Salem (Dt) – 636113,
Tel: +91 4282 226004

Kongrapatti (Est: 1997)
St. Sebastian Church,
V.Kongarapatty, Via Kadayampatty Salem (Dt), 636 351
Tel: +91 9443516910

Kootatturpatti (Est: 2010)
St. Sabastian Church,
Kootatturpatti P.O. Valapadi TK, Salem Dt – 636139.

Kosavampatti (Est: 1934)
St. Francis Xavier’s Church,
S.Udupam(P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637019
Tel: +91 4286 244313

Kumarapalayam (Est: 2012)
Our Lady Of Rosary Church,
J.K.K. Natarajar Nagar, Kumarapalayam – 638 183
Namakkal Dt.

Kunnamalai (Est: 1936)
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church,
Kunnamalai (P.O.), Kandampalayam Via, Namakkal (Dt) – 637203
Tel: +91 4268 260632

Manjakultai (Est: 2012)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Graigmore, Manjakultai P.O, Yercaud – 636602
Salem Dt.

Marilapalayam (Est: 2010)
St. Sebastian Church,
Marilapalayam, Via. Mettur Dam – 636 452, Salem Dt

Mathiyampatti (Est: 1927)
St. Mary Magdalene Church,
Mamundi (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) 637 503
Tel: +91 4287 260223

Mettur Dam (Est: 1902)
Our Lady of Assumption Church,
Mettur dam (p.o.), Salem (dt) – 636401
Tel: +91 4298 244345

Nagalur (Est: 2010)
Sagayamatha Church,
Nagalur P.O, Yercaud – 636 602. Salem Dt

Namagiripettai (Est: 2011)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Namagiripettai P.O. Via. Rasipuram – 637406. Namakkul Dr.

Namakkal (Est: 1928)
Christ the King Church,
Namakkal (Dt), 637 001
Tel: +91 4286 223537

Pallipalayam (Est: 2008)
St. Antony’s Charch,
TVS Medu, Thiruchengode Road, Pallipalauam P.O. Erode – 638 006
Tel: +91 9442749177

Paramathi (Est: 2001)
Amala Annai Church,
Velur Road, Paramathi, Namakkal-Dt
Tel: +91 4268 251699

Perunkurrichi (Est: 1942)
Our Lady of Lourdes Church,
Perunkurichy(P.O.), Paramathi (Tk), Namakkal (Dt) – 637201
Tel: +91 4288 242080

Pettaipalayam (Est: 1975)
Pettaipalayam (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637015
Tel: +91 4286 255852

Pudupalayam (Est: 1973)
Assumption Church,
Pudupalayam (P.O.), Rasipuram (Tk), Namakkal (Dt) 637408
Tel: +91 4287 – 223732

Pungavadi (Est: 2004)
Our Lady of Headlth Church,
Pungavadi (P.O), Attur Talik, Salem Dt – 636 141
Tel: +91 4282 275111

Rasipuram (Est: 1989)
Our Lady of Lourdes Church,
Rasipuram (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637408
Tel: +91 4287 226766

Sadayampalayam (Est: 1972)
St. Sebastian Church,
Samiampalayam (P.O.) Salem (Dt) – 638183
Tel: +91 4288 263022

Salem Camp (Est: 1947)
St. Joseph Church,
Salem Camp, Salem (Dt) 636 456
Tel: +91 4298 – 240758

Sankari (Est: 1975)
St. Antony’s Church,
Sangagiri (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637301
Tel: +91 4283 – 241234

Sanyasigundu (Est: 1990)
St. Joseph Church,
Sanyasigundu, Kichipalayam (P.O.), Salem – 636015
Tel: +91 427 – 2261557

Savariyarpalayam (Est: 1980)
St. Francis Xavier Church,
Saveriarpalayam (P.O.), Mettur (TK), Salem (Dt) – 636303
Tel: +91 4298 – 251891

Settipatti (Est: 1890)
St. Peter and Paul Church,
R.C. Settipatti (P.O.), Salem (Dt) 636 455
Tel: +91 4290 – 222285

Semmedu (Est: 2004)
Infact Jesus Church,
Karayankadu (P.O.), Vasalur Road, Kolli Hills – 637411. Namakkal Dt
Tel: +91 4286 – 247497

Sendamangalam (Est: 2004)
Arockia Matha Church,
Ghandhipuram, Sendamangala – 637 409. Namakkal Dt
Tel: +91 4286 – 292088

Sendarapatti (Est: 1990)
Sacred Heart Church,
Siluvaigiri, Thagarapudur (P.O.). Salem (Dt) – 636110
Tel: +91 4290 – 228777

Shevapet (Est: 1858)
St. Mary’s Co- Cathedral,
Shevapet (P.O.), Salem – 636 002.
Tel: +91 427 – 2218882

Siluvaigiri (Est: 2006)
R.C. Church,
Siluvaigiri, Thagarapudhr P.O. Gangavalli Tk, Salem – 636110
Tel: +91 42828 – 295234

Solasiramani (Est: 2005)
Our Lady of Good Health Church,
Solasiramani, Pachampalayam (P.O.), Paramathi Taluk, Namakkal Dt – 637 210
Tel: +91 4288 – 222164

S.P.B Colony (Est: 1982)
Holy Trinity Church,
Spb Colony, Erode – 638010, Namakkal (Dt)
Tel: +91 4286 – 223537

Steel Plant (Est: 1993)
St. Jude’s Church,
Mohan Nagar, Salem – 636 030
Tel: +91 427 – 2383587

Suramangalam (Est: 1924)
Sacred Heart Church,
Suramangalam (P.O.), Salem – 636005
Tel: +91 427 – 2445480

Thalaivasal (Est: 2004)
St. Joseph’s Church,
Thalaaivasal P.O. Salem – 636112
Tel: +91 4282 – 230461

Tharamangalam (Est: 1980)
St. Charles Boromeo Church,
Tharamangalam (P.O.), Salem – (Dt) 636502
Tel: +91 4290 – 252210

Thirumanur (Est: 2010)
John the Baptist Church,
Thirumanur – 636202, Via Mangalapuram, Salem Dt

Thumbal (Est: 1978)
St. Mary’s Church,
Thumbal (P.O.), Salem (Dt) 636 114
Tel: +91 4292 – 245949

Thiruchengode (Est: 1936)
St. Mary’s Church,
Tiruchengode (P.O.), Namakkal (Dt) – 637211
Tel: +91 4288 – 284900

Udayapatti (Est: 1997)
Our Lady of Good Health Church,
Udyappatty – Salem.
Res: Jyothi Dharshan,
Masinaikanpatty,
Ayothiapatnam (P.O.), Salem – 636 103
Tel: +91 427-243032

Valapaddy (Est: 1958)
St. Pius X Church,
Valappady (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 636115
Tel: +91 4292 – 222342

Vellapalayam (Est: 1970)
St. Mary Magdalene Church,
Thevur (Via), Kaveripatty (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 637104
Tel: +91 4283 – 232494

Yercaud (Est: 1934)
Sacred Heart Church,
Yercaud (P.O.), Salem (Dt) – 636601
Tel: +91 4281 – 222348

Salem Diocese

The Diocese of Salem comprises of civil districts of Salem and Namakkal. In 1623 Southern Kongunadu, part of Salem District, under Madurai Nayakkars accepted Christianity, through Fr. Robert De Nobili, S.J. and his successors, the Portuguese Jesuits of the Madurai Mission. About 1654, the Italian Jesuits of the Mysore mission had a residence near Hosur. In 1687, the Mysore Mission laboured in the entire area of the present diocese. Fr. De Cunha died in 1711 at Kapiganathi near Hosur. Even after the suppression of their Society, the Jesuits under the jurisdiction of Cranganore, worked to the last in the field.

In 1785, during Tippu Sulttan’s rule, Msgr. Champenois, Superior of the Malabar Mission, was entrusted by Rome with the Mysore Mission, which took care of Salem. He was the first Bishop to visit Salem. Salem Mission was brought under the Brirtish rule, and he left in charge there “Fr. Abbe Dubois”, who strove to restore the devastated mission. From 1797, Kartenaras from Cranganore intruded into Salem till they left about 1833.

The area continued to depend on the Coromandal mission. Later it came under the Vicariate Apostolic of Pondicherry, which in 1886 became an Archdiocese. This set up continued till 1930 except for Hosur Taluk which had been entrusted from 1861 to the area of Mysore and for the southeast which was joined in 1899 to the Diocese of Kumbakonam.

On May 26, 1930 the Diocese of Salem was erected from the parts of Salem District and from parts under the jurisdiction of Pondicherry Diocese (6 parishes), Kumbakonam Diocese (3 parishes), Mysore Diocese (1 parish) and in 1943 the Western portion of Mettur Taluk (2 parishes) was added.

In 1949, the Diocese of Salem was entrusted to an Indian, its second Bishop Rt. Rev. V.S. Selvanather. Diocese of Dharmapuri was bifurcated from the Diocese of Salem according to the communique released on February 28,1997. The Holy Father appointed Msgr. Joseph Antony Irudaya Raj, SDB as the first Bishop of Dharmapuri.

Cathedral:

Salem Cathdral

ARISIPALAYAM PARISH
The parish of Arisipalayam was bifurcated from Shevapet in 1953 and was erected as St. Francis Xavier’s parish. The chapel of St. Francis Xavier’s Minor Seminary served as the parish church till 1991.

The New Cathedral was consecrated on 27th November 1991, and dedicated to Infant Jesus. This magnificent Cathedral was meticulously planned and carefully constructed with strenuous efforts by late Bishop Most Rev. Dr. Michael B. Duraisamy, as his last monument and gift to the diocese of Salem. Very Rev. Fr. S. Amalraj was asked to continue as the first Parish Priest of the Infant Jesus Cathedral parish, since he was already the Parish Priest of St. Xavier’s Church at Arisipalayam. He was in-charge of the Parish till to 13th June 1992. Rev. Fr. S. Savari was appointed as the second Parish Priest. He continued to be the parish Priest up to 20th July 1998. Rev. Fr. M.S. Martin succeeded Fr. S. Savari from 1998 till 2004. Fr. S. Pushpanathan was parish priest till 2009. Fr. A. Singarayan is the Present parish priest.

The cathedral Parish can be divided into two main areas: Arisipalayam and Peramanur. Omalur main Road is dividing these two areas. There are five sectors in Arisipalayam area: Arisipalayam, Mullakkadu, Saminathapuram, Angammal Colony and Pallapatti-Meiyanur. In Peramanur area also there are five sectors Peramanur, Chinnapudur, Sankar Nagar, Fairlands and Alagapuram.

Mostly teachers, Government Employees, Business people, a few doctors, lawyers and Engineers live in Peramanur area. Carpenters, Masons, Daily Coolies, Merchants, Teachers with few doctors and engineers reside at Arisipalayam area.

Parish Administration

Parish Priest is Responsible for the administration of the parish. He shares his responsibility with the assistant Parish Priest. Apart from this, there is the parish council with 25 members, representatives of various sections of the parish. Every month in the second week, the parish council meets to plan and discuss the matters that pertain to the parish.
Contact:
Bishop’s House
P.O.Box 703, 2, Court Road,
Maravaneri, Salem – 636 007
Tamilnadu, INDIA

Bishop’s House (Office) 0427 2415641

Fax 0427 2411517
Procurator 0427 2420148

For more information please visit: http://salemdiocese.org/

Holy Cross Novitiate, Yercaud

Holy Cross Novitiate - Yercaud

Holy Cross Novitiate, Yercaud

Sacred Heart Church, Yercaud, Salem

Sacred Heart Church, Yercaud

Sacred Heart Church,
Yercaud,
Salem Dt,
Tamil Nadu,
Pin : 636601
Ph.No: 04281 – 222348.

Church Established – 1934.

Lourdu Annai Shrine, Salem

History of “Malai kovil”

In 1868 a small prayer hall was constructed on top of the hill in Agraharam by Rev Fr .Brikkot with the support of the Christian families. Holy mass and the procession were conducted in that prayer hall only twice a year. One among the 3 statues of Lourdu Annai that came to Tamil Nadu from France is now at Agraharam Malai Kovil. With the combined efforts and the hard work of the parish priests and the youths of the “Catholic Seva Sangam’ Mr. R Arocikasamy, Mr. C Raja Vaathiyar @ Savarimuthu, Mr. Siluvaimuthu, Mr. Chellakannu @ Anthony, Malai Kovil became a very beautiful place for worship. The youths cleared the shrubs around the Malai Kovil and made a pathway for the procession. Mother Mary’s procession is celebrated every year on 11th of Feb. 1958 was celebrated across the world as the jubilee of Mother Mary’s appearance in France. As part of the celebration Most Rev Bishop V.S Selvanathar selected Malai Kovil as the shrine of Salem Diocese. Under the supervision of Rev Fr. M Vargeese and the suggestion of Mr Santhappa the Grotto in the western side of the Malai Kovil was constructed. When Rev Fr. G Mooviale was the parish priest, Mr G.D Appavu from Pondicherry donated the Way of Cross Stations to Malai Kovil on 31.5.1968. From then, at 5.30 PM every Lent Friday Way of Cross and Holy Mass is offered in the Malai Kovil.

During the Golden Jubilee celebration of the Salem Diocese, Most Rev Bp Michael Duraisamy adorned Mother Mary with a golden crown. During the period of Rev Fr. S Arockiasamy, 2 Silver Jubilee arch gates were built: one in the Salem-Attur road and the other in Agraharam. Malai Kovil was named Lourdu Nagar. Western side of the Malai Kovil was extended during the period of Rev Fr. Xavier (1990-1993). 15th Station of the Way of Cross was constructed on the hill top during the period of Rev Fr.M Jegaraj(1993-1995). Also an alter depicting the last supper was constructed during his period. With the help of Rev Fr. K.S Lawrence from the Chennai Arch diocese pilgrim’s hall was opened on 8.12.1997. Later concrete road was laid around the Grotto. The parish saw many improvements after Rev Fr. Peter Francis was appointed the parish priest on 2001. In 2004, steps on the right and left side of the Grotto were constructed. To support the worshipers while climbing the steps a lengthy steel rail was fixed in the year 2005. Sun Shades were raised on both sides of the Grotto. Marriage hall and community hall constructed to serve the people needs are remarkable.

Agraharam Parish -”Holy Spirit Church”

History says that many countries were found in 18th century. Agraharam village was also formed in this 18th Century by Mr. Kaaliyapa Udayar. In 1702, Kaaliyapa Udayar, along with his family, servants and a Brahmin shifted from his village Veeranam to Agraharam. He built a temple for the goddess he took with him. His hardwork turned the forest in to a land that is suitable for cultivation. Attracted by this cultivation land few of his relatives and others from his native shifted to Agraharam. Kaaliyapa Udayar who was happily settled in Agraharam had a longing for a son to be his successor. He visited Uthariya Matha church in kakaveri where many miracles are witnessed by the believers. He was also blessed with a baby boy. As thanksgiving he renewed the roofing of the Kakaveri church. Also he and his family joined the Christian Faith. He was named Periyathambi after the PeriyaNayaki Matha.

This conversion earned him hatred from few of his relatives. But few others followed the footsteps of Periyathambi Udayar and joined the Christian Faith. In 1794, Rev Fr. Appothuva who was serving the Agraharam community paved way for the conversion of the Udayar from other Hindu religion. In 1820, a Christian lady , by her marriage with a man from different religion, brought her entire In Laws to her faith. Three more families from her husband’s village Athipaakam shifted to Agraharam. This way the Agraharam parish stared growing.

Priests from Paris visited Agraharam very often to preach the Word of God. But there was not a proper church for the priests to gather the people for prayer. In 1842, Rev Fr. Brikkot, purchased a land and laid the foundation for building a church, which was opposed by the people of other religion. After many hardships a church with Lady of Health as its patron was built and was blessed by Most Rev Bishop Poonan on 12.10.1846. Later, people belonging to the other religion shifted to the northern part of the village due to a fire accident. In 1868, in order to preach the Good News to those people, Rev Fr. Brikkot constructed a prayer hall on top of the hill in the situated in the northern part of the village. Rev Fr. Brikkot served the spiritual needs of the Agraharam people from 1868 to 1880. After him, older priests stayed in Agraharam to serve the people till 1930. Agraharam was still under the supervision of the Sevaipettai priests. Later Agraharam was made the sub parish of Sooramangalam. In 1939, to meet the increasing population, foundation for the present parish church was laid by Rev Fr. Joseph Baarel. On 31.8.1945 Agraharam was made a separate parish and Rev Fr. Matthew Thekadam was appointed as parish priest. In 1949 Fr Matthew Thekadam consecrated the church. Currently there are 2190 Christians living in the Agraharam parish.

Mass Schedule

First Saturday : 05.30 p.m. Car Procession of Mother Mary around the MalaiKovil road and Blessing of the Sick with the Blessed Sacrament, Benediction and Mass in Tamil.

All Saturdays : 07.00 a.m. Mass in Tamil.

Way of Cross at 5.30 p.m. on every Lent Fridays followed by the Holy Mass.

How to Reach ?

Lourdu Annai Shrine is located at Agraharam, A.N Mangalam village in Salem district. Salem is located in the middle of India’s southernmost state Tamil Nadu. It is around 390 KM from Tamilnadu state capital “Chennai” and 140 KM from “Coimbatore”.

By Bus:
From Salem old Bus stand to Karippatti -[Route # 74,44,10]
From Salem old Bus stand to A.N Mangalam -[Route # 37]
Salem New Bus stand to Karippatti

By Train:
Express: Chennai Egmore – Salem JN (Via Virudhachalam) 353 KM
Express: Chennai Central – Salem JN (Via Jolarpettai) 390 KM
Passenger: Virudhachalam JN – Salem JN (Via Vallapadi) 139 KM
Passenger: Salem JN – Virudhachalam JN(Via Vallapadi) 139 KM

Contact Us

The Parish Priest,
Holy Spirit Church,
Agraharam, A.N. Mangalam (P.O.),
Karippatti Via, Salem – 636 106.
PH: 0427 – 2482526
salemdiocese@gmail.com

Lourdu Annai Shrine,
Lourdu Nagar, Malaikovil,
Agraharam, A.N. Mangalam, (P.O.)
Karippatti Via, Salem – 636 106.

For more information please visit: http://lourduannai-salem.org/