Category: Catholic Churches

Our Lady of Assumption Church, Kamanayakkanpatti, Tuticorin

All are welcome at Our Lady of Assumption Church, Puthumainagar, Kamanayakkanpatti.

We, as the devotees of Holy Mary & faithful followers of Jesus Christ, create, nurture, and maintain a community of love through worship, reconciliation, healing, formation, education and service.

Through Chronological liturgical and Eucharist, we seek the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit, embracing the love of our Creator in each thought, word and action.

As humble servants of God, we remain faithful to the teachings of the Holy, Roman Catholic Church; waiting in joyful hope for our Lord’s coming.

Our Lady of Assumption Church

History:

Kamanayakkanpatti played an important part in the former Madurai Mission and might be considered as the Mother Church for the southern region. It was also the center of evangelization in the Tirunelveli inland territory at the end of the 17th and 18th centuries. It had covered up Srivilliputhur (north-west), Vadakkankulam (south), Tenkasi (South-west) and the inland areas in the East.

In 1664 Fr. Freyre visited this area and found that there were Christians already here. In 1684, a small church was built by Rev. Fr. John De Britto, when he visited and made this place as the center for the missionary activities. Fr. Xavier Porgheese was the first parish priest who resided here and administered the Sacraments.It was the first time that K.N.P. was mentioned in the records of the history.Around the year 1690, it is said that a girl fell into an open well and died, while the parents and the villagers pleaded to Our Lady, she was miraculously brought back to life. Fr. Beschi came over during 1712-1715 and stayed here to learn the local language. It was at this time that he inculturated the Christian faith into the Indian culture. It was at his time that the Church was named as the Our Lady of Assumption.

In 1728 the Church was several times visited by thieves and plundered the village. It is said that a thief, stealing the image of Our Lady and was about to carry it away, when all on a sudden, he became blind. Around 1748 the old Church of K.N.P. was completely burnt down by some evil forces against the Christian faith, yet the statue of Our Lady remained unstained and was saved. Though it was a time of severe famine, the Christians rebuilt it against the thought of their enemies and with divine providence. Fr. Lawrence de Almeyda in charge of Mannargudi or Mannarcoil, falling sick on his way to the Coast, died at K.N.P, on the first of February 1748 after receiving the last sacraments. He was known as Rajendra swami, and his tomb can be seen even today at K.N.P.

There was an interval of 82 years from 1756 to 1838. During this time there were no priests, sacraments, Eucharist.etc, yet people stood firm in their faith by their popular devotion to Our Lady, with the help of the local catechists. Then Fr. Alexander Martin, known as Visuvasanandarswami accompanied by Fr. Mousset M.E.P., was the first Jesuit to visit K.N.P. Both celebrated the feast of the Assumption in 1838. Fr. Alexander was firm in removing the discrimination on the basis of caste and getting settled in the beginning of the twentieth century. After him Fr. J. Maria Dass extended the Church and built the present one with much elegance and style. It has a beautiful sanctuary, altar and stands on twelve pillars signifying the twelve apostles.

As the beginning of the jubilee year (325) and an honor to Our Lady, the ROSARY GARDEN was built with leading of Rev.Fr. Arulambrose (2005-2010) and it is convenient for people to pray the rosary at all times. It is slowly gaining its lost importance. This parish is known all over for its significant and unique devotions to Our Lady called “Kumbidu Sevai”, which tells the emptiness of human before God. This has got very many cultural impacts among the people and still holds the faith of the people. This is the first place where the practice of Car procession was introduced by Fr. Beschi.

Now many people flock to this place of grace and also experience the hand of God in their prayers and give thanks to God the Almighty through Our Lady. Last year, this mission has celebrated 325th jubilee year, many are visiting and honoring Our Mother. People from all over the country come over here through out the year and worship Our Lady.

home_left

Liturgical Timings:

Daily Services:
6.00 am – Morning Prayer and Holy Mass
7.00 pm – Rosary and evening Prayers

Weekly services:
All Saturdays:
12.30 am – Holy Mass for pilgrims.
7.00 pm – Rosary and Novena prayers
7.30 pm – Holy Mass, Benediction
All Sundays:
8.00 am Holy Mass, Benediction

Monthly Services:
First Friday:
7.00 pm – Rosary, Holy hour, Holy Mass, Adoration
IInd, IVth Sunday:
5.30 am – Holy Mass,
10.30 am – Holy Mass for Children (IInd Sunday only)
IVth Saturday:
7.00 pm – Rosary, Novena prayers at Rosary Garden
7.30 pm – Holy Mass at Rosary Garden
8.30 pm – Car Procession from Rosary Garden to Shrine
9.00 pm – Benediction
10.00 pm – “ Muzhu Nizhavu Vizha” at Rosary Garden
12.00 pm – Holy Mass at Rosary Garden

Contact:
Our Lady of Assumption Church,

Kamanayakkanpatti,
Duraiyur (Via),
Tuticorin (Thoothukudi) – District,
Tamilnadu, India.
Pin code – 628720.
Tel: +91 4632 244229, +91 4632 244230

For more information please visit: http://www.vinnarasi.in/

Villianur Madha Shrine, Pondicherry

SHRINE OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES, Villianur
(DEAR DEVOTEES OF OUR LADY OF VILLIANUR OR VILLIANUR MADHA)

In the whole of Tamilnadu, the ancient place of Our Lady of Lourdes in Villianur. The presence of this Shrine is the pride of the Pondicherry state. The people of Pondicherry have got great affection to this place. This is the centre of religious unity, tolerance, Co- operation and integration. With the social and religious leaders of Villianur, we’re having a “Council for Human rights, Values andrespect” which works for the solidarity among the people of various caste, creed, religious and social states. And the arch-diocese of Pondicherry is proud to have this a shrine in its territory.And we are blessed with this Shrine. Our Ladyeally lives here and protects the people who come here.

We have got at Villianur the three important religious centers, Sutthanpet mosque for Muslims, temple of Shiva for Hindus and Our Lady of Lourdes for Christians. During the feast of each centre all the religious people co- operate without considering their religious differences

So I feel centres like this should be developed in the right manner with due infrastructure for the welfare of the people of this country.

So I invite your suggestions, co-operation and helps to construct this Shrine in the fruitful manner.

Villianur Madha Shrine - 1

Church History:

In 1867, the MEP missionaries of Pondicherry wished to build a Chapel at Villianur which is 13 Kilometers away from Pondicherry on the road to Villupuram. Hence the diocese has bought a piece of land at Villianur and Rev.Fr.Gou on, they procurator of the Pondicherry mission after a long negotiation with the Hindu temple authorities of Thirukameswarer Gogilambigai Temple.started to build a Chapel at Kanuvapet on the outskirts of Villianur, with the amount of the thanksgiving offering of Dr.Lephine’s family for the miraculous cure of his daughter in exchange.

It has taken atleast 10 years to complete the Chapel. And Rev.Fr.Tharbes a cousine brother of Bernadette, the visionary of Lourdes, was appointed as the Parish Priest of Villianur mission. Since he had a direct report of the apparitions of Our Lady of Lourdes And this seems to be the first in the world to be named after Our Lady of Lourdes outsid Lourdes, France. Added to that one pious Lady has paid for a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes and made it come from Lourdes under the direct supervision of Bernadette. It was on the 4th April 1877 the statue arrived at Pondicherry and was taken to the Cathedral after the three dangerous falls of the box containing the Holy Mother’s Statue.

To everybodys amaze, the statue was intact and beautiful. And during the Statue’s stay at the Cathedral, a pious man called Thambusamy Mudaliyar, a native of Kumbakonam who was on his way to Chennai for the surgical intervention for the extra growth of flesh on his left eye, who I has prayed to Our Lady of Lourdes and was cured by a vision of Our Lady of Lourdes during a dream at the same night about 3 am This attracted a lot of crowd to the Cathedral and so the missionaries sent the statue soon to Villianur, on the 7th of April itself.

After some hurdles, Our Lady of Lourdes statue chose her own way to come to Villianur on the 7th April. From that time onwards people in thousands began to flock Villianur to have the vision of this statue and get cured of all their infirmities.

It was in 1885 the arch bishop Laouenan went to Rome and reported the numerous miracles that took place in this Shrine to the Holy Father and got permission on February 21st, 1886 to declare this as an official Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Villianur and to crown the statue in his name.

On his return from Rome, on 8th May 1886 during a grand celebration, witnessed by around 40,000 people during the pontifical high mass the arch bishop crowned the miraculous statue in the name of the pope Leo XIII and declared this church as the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Villianur and attached permanent plenary indulgences to this shrine.

Sacred Pond

There was a natural pond in front of the chapel. it was once used as the water reservoir for the irrigation of the lands around and water came from the big Oosudu lake which is 10 Kms away from here. And this pond was constructed by Rev.Fr.Lesbond, the Parish Priest, with donations from Zigon Organised by Mr.Lesage. And Mr.Larocgue from the people in Zigon got a statue fro Lourdes and in 1924 and asolemn ceremony took place to install the statue in the middle of the sacred pond after the due consecration of the statue and the pond. Many take this water to their houses to cure their diseases and to have fortune in their lives. And this is the only Catholic church in the whole of Asia having a sacred pond in front of the church. This is one of the added reasons why people flock around this shrine in crowds.

The grotto

19 years after Our Lady’s apparition at Lourdes, the first church and grotto for Our Lady of Lourdes was constructed in 1877. The centenary celebrations was celebrated on September 10th 1977. The procession was the highlight of the celebration. All the credit goes to Rev.Fr.Duissen.He is the one who planned for one big grotto out side the church. The grotto which was inside the church modified according to the instruction of Second Vatican conference. To the remembrance of the centenary celebrations, one big grotto was erected in the garden, which is consecrated by Most. Rev.Seivanather on 10.10.1978.

Important Dates in the Growth of the Shrine

4.4.1877 – The statue of Our Lady is send to Villianur by Bernadette. It shares the importance that it was the first statue that as send to India from Lourdes.
7.4.1877 – The Statue was taken in procession to Villianur from Pondicherry.
8.4.1877 – Mgr.Laouenan blessed the statue and placed it in the grotto.The first church & grotto for Our Lady of Lourdes in ,India was established.
1885 – Mgr.Laouenan went to Rome to say about importance Villianur to the Pope.
21.2.1886 – Pope Leo All granted permission to bless the statue in His name.In Asia only few statues are crowned by Pope. The statue at Villianur is one among them.
8.5.1886 – The statue was crowned, and permanent plenary indulgence attached, declared as Our Lady of Lourd Shrine.
1896 – In Villianur, Novena prayer & car procession were introduced.
1908 – The Golden Jubilee of apparitions of Our Lady of Lourdes was celebrated and a prayer hall constructed in the garden.
1924 – The statue which is in the middle of pond brought from France. Villianur is the only Shrine having pond in front of the church in South India
16.4.1979 – The death anniversary of St.Bemadette was celebrated and a stall was opened after her name.
30.1.1980 – The mysteries of Rosary was painted in front of the grotto III street gate.
11.2.1980 – Villianur Vidrvelli a monthly magazine was published.
30.4.1982 – The grotto inside the chapel remodeled in accordance with the one at Lourdes.
25.12.1983 – Villianur Madha film was produced.

THE CHURCH:

This Church has a significant place in the history of the Catholic Church as the First Church in the World, other than that is in Lourdes – France, to be dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

The devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes in Asia in general and in India in particular has its roots in Villianur.

1866-1877: Rev.Fr. TARBES, M.E.P., the cousin brother of St. Bernadette, constructed the Church.

THE GROTTO

The Grotto, located inside the Church, shares the same privilege with the Church as the First in the world other than that is at Lourdes, France.

THE SACRED POND

The natural ‘Sacred Pond’ which is in front of the Church, depicts the native culture and is unique to Our Shrine.

1924 – A beautiful statue of Our Lady of Lourdes brought from France was erected at the centre of the Sacred Pond.

THE MIRACULOUS STATUE

This miraculous Statue was the workmanship of the same sculptor who sculpted the Statue of Our Lady of Lourdes in the Lourdes Grotto, France.

This Statue was made under the direct supervision of St. Bernadette.

Though the Box containing the miraculous statue (6 Feet tall) had met with three dangerous falls on its way, to everyone’s amaze, it was found intact and beautiful emanating splendid fragrance of rose.

1886: This Statue was crowned by His Holiness Pope Leo XIII and the Church was declared a SHRINE.

PILGRIMAGE ON FOOT

As a sign of gratitude to Our Lady of Villianur, for saving the city from a cyclone, the first pilgrimage on foot (12 Km.) took place on October 10, 1977 from Pondicherry and this beautiful tradition is still continued on the II Saturday in the month of October.

STATIONS OF THE CROSS

2009: The Stations of the Cross were constructed around the ‘Sacred Pond’.

THE PROPOSED NEW CHURCH

As the existing Church could not accommodate the growing number of pilgrims, a new Church is planned with the approval of our Archbishop Most. Rev.Dr.Antony Anandarayar. The construction of the new Church is scheduled to begin at the earliest. Therefore, we solicit your generous contribution.

Villianur-Madha-Shrine-Pondy

Kindly send your Donations or Contributions by way of M.O., Cheque, or D.D. drawn in favor of PARISH PRIEST, LOURDES SHRINE, VILLIANUR.

You may directly deposit or wire your contribution to the following bank account:
Syndicate Bank (Villianur Branch) S.B. A/C No: 96032200014209 (Swift Code: SYNBINBBA031).

N.B.: The names of those who donate Rs.50,000/- and more will be engraved in the Church.

INFORMATION TO PILGRIMS:

This Shrine is around 135 years old. During this period, this Shrine has developed slowly in various dimensions. Now a days , it attracts more crowds. The sacred pond attracts more people of various religions. Very specially people go around the pond on their knees and pray for their intensions. They do it for 9 consecutive first Saturdays or ordinary Saturdays. And they feel the power of God working in them and the protection of Our Lady in their lives.

Villianur Madha Shrine - 3

So it is our intention that some sacramental prayer services and Benediction can be arranged eventually around this Sacred Pond. So we have planned a model for the reconstruction of this pond by which people can sit around and the priest can preach and bless the people from the center of the pond. This needs a heavy investment which is worth spending in view of the abundant divine graces and favors which will be procured by the thousands of Indian people.
In this present Indian social situation of religious intolerance, extremism, dissentions and rivalries, this kind of Shrines and its spiritual activities can be a source of unity, religious tolerance and integration in the Indian society.

The second grand project in the future will be a construction of a big Basilica here. In future this Shrine will be gathering enormous crowds of people and the Shrine has to equip itself to accommodate the people. So we need a beautiful Basilica.

Also we are planning to have a home for the old aged and abandoned people. To get alms from the devotees and the pilgrims many abandoned old people come from many places of Tamil Nadu and stay around the shrine in the streets. It is our duty also to take care of them. So the Shrine also wants to construct a home for the aged and abandoned.

APPARITIONS OF OUR LADY AT LOURDES:

The event that attracted the attention of the world in the 19th century was the apparitions of Our Lady at Lourdes, France. These apparitions have taken place in 1858 in between 11th February to 16th July. Mother Mary appeared to a young girl Bernadette 18 times from the grotto called Massabielle and revealed her name as The Immaculate Conception and invited people of all nations to come to Lourdes on pilgrimage.

Villianur Madha Shrine - 2

And Our Lady worked the miracle of the spring which still continues to flow for more than a century and the water of which cures thousands of people suffering from various diseases.

This historical place and the apparitions are the sources of inspiration to our shrine of Our Lady of Villianur. At the resemblance of the sacred spring at Lourdes, our shrine also has got a sacred pond in which we have water all throughout the year. Once in a year when we clean the water and let the fresh water in, we usually make arrangements to bring water from the spring of Lourdes and mingle it here. Lots of people take this water home to use it for the cure of the disease and dispel the evil sprits from the house, fields, work spots, offices and workshops etc.

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS:

St. Mary’s Cottage (Orphanage) run by the Shrine caters to the education of Orphans, Semi- Orphans, destitute and Poor Students. It is a pathetic situation that there are many children, who have lost one or both of their parents, have no source and encouragement for education. We have to admit the fact that these children, who are neglected at their childhood, become ferocious, and indulge in offensive activities when they grow up.

We aim at modification of their behaviour, all round development of their personality and hope in life. We admit eligible students irrespective of cast, creed and religion. Right now we have 40 students in our Orphanage this year. We take care of all their needs, supply uniforms, writing materials like notebooks, pen, pencil, eraser etc. We are proud to state that many students who studied in this orphanage have secured good jobs and well settled in life. Three students have become priests so far and few work as Teachers in various schools.

MASS TIMINGS

OUR LADY OF LOURDES SHRINE, VILLIANUR, PONDICHERRY, INDIA.

Week Days:
6:00 a.m – Mass

Saturday:
6:00 a.m, 11:30 a.m, 6:00 p.m

I Saturday:
5:30 a.m, 6:45 a.m, 11:30 a.m – Mass
6:00 p.m – Mass & Car Procession

Sunday
6:00 a.m, 7:30 a.m – Mass
5:30 p.m – Mass & Car Procession

FEAST
FLAG HOISTING – The Saturday after Easter Sunday.
FEAST – The 15th day after Easter Sunday i.e. III Sunday of Easter Season.

LITURGICAL TIMINGS
II Saturday in the month of October
2.00 p.m – Pilgrim Walk starts from the Cathedral, Pondicherry.
5.30 p.m – Mass at Villianur.

CONTACT:

SHRINE OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES
CHURCH STREET, VILLIANUR, PONDICHERRY-6050 110, INDIA
Ph : 0413-2666363, Cell : +919443091523
E-mail : frsrichard@yahoo.in , s.richard@sify.com

For more information please visit: http://www.villianurshrine.com/

Follow us: https://www.facebook.com/villianurshrine 

Search Keywords: Villianur Madha Shrine Pondicherry, Villianur Madha Shrine Pondy, Shrine Of Our Lady Of Lourdes Villianur, Villianur Madha Church, Villianur Church, Our Lady of Villianur, Villianur Madha, Madha Church Pondicherry, Madha Church Villianur, Roman Catholic Churches in Pondicherry, Catholic Churches in Pondicherry, RC Churches in Pondicherry, Roman Catholic Church in India, Churches in Pondicherry, Villianur Catholic Church, Pondy Church, Catholic Churches in Pondy.

Diocese of Dindigul

Geography:
The diocesan territory stretches over a land area of 6,266 square kilometers and covers the civil district of Dindigul. Dindigul and Palani are the largest towns in the diocese.

Population:
The total population in the diocesan area was 1,923,014 as of the end of 2005. Tamils form the majority ethnic group here.

Political structure:
Towns are governed by municipalities, while villages and small towns are administered by local bodies called Panchayats.

Economy:
The per capita income in the diocesan territory is 18,983 rupees (US$408 as of August 2006). Agriculture, especially paddy cultivation, is done extensively. Dindigul is also famous for its locks and tanneries.

Telecommunications:
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese enjoys local cable TV networks.

Language:
Tamil and English are the languages used.

Transportation:
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of roads and railways. The nearest airport is in Madurai, the second largest city in the state of Tamil Nadu.

Education:
The literacy rate here is 69.35 percent.

About Diocese:

The Holy Father, John Paul II, erected the new Diocese of Dindigul on November 10, 2003 bifurcating the diocese of Tiruchirapalli and Most. Rev. Antony Pappusamy was installed at the first Bishop of the diocese on December 28, 2003.

Dindigul the 17th diocese in Tamilnadu consists of 37 parishes. In addition to 31 parishes from Tiruchirapalli, 6 parishes were carved out of Madurai Archdiocese and added to the new Dindigul diocese. And there are 56 diocesan priests working in 3 Vicariates which are, Dindigul consisting of 8 parishes, Kosavapatty consiting of 8 parishes and Panjampatty consisting of 11 parishes. After the erection of the diocese 3 more parishes have been created anew. The geographical area of the newly formed Dindigul Diocese is almost co-extensive with the civil administrative area of the Dindigul District in the South Indian State of Tamilnadu. The enumerated catholic population is 1,03,049.

After the death of Bishop Canoz at the age of 83 in 1888, Msgr. John Barthe, S.J. who was consecrated the Bishop of Tiruchirapalli. In 1914, when Bishop Barthe resigned, Msgr. Augustine Faisandier, S.J. who had been his Coadjutor from 1909 succeeded him. In 1923, a portion of the Fishery Coast with 70,000 Catholics was detached from Tiruchirapalli diocese to form the new diocese of Tuticorin and was entrusted to the care of the Diocesan clergy with Msgr. Tiburtius Roche, S.J. as its first Bishop. After the death of Msgr. Augustine Faisandier, S.J. in 1935, Msgr. John Peter Leonard, S.J. was appointed Bishop of Tiruchirapalli in 1936.

Dindigul-Diocese

In !938, on the centenary year of the New Madurai Mission, the diocese was again divided. The diocese of Tiruchirapalli retained the five civil taluks of Palani, Dindigul, Kulithalai, Tiruchi and Kolathur with a Catholic population of 98,000 with Msgr. James Mendonca as the First Diocesan Bishop of Tiruchi. The rest of the old diocese with 1,60,0000 Catholics was erected as the new diocese of Madurai with Msgr. J.P.Leonard, S.J. as its first Bishop. Fifteen years later in 1953 Madurai diocese was raised to the status of an Archdiocese with Tiruchi, Tuticorin and Kottar as its suffragan Dioceses.

At the time of bifurcation of Madurai Archdiocese from Tiruchirapalli, the Dindigul town and the church in Mettupatti, though still in the Madurai district, remained part of the Tiruchirapalli diocese. Bishop James Mendonca found his diocese large enough to launch the idea of dividing it. Again this idea got strengthened under his successors Bishops Thomas Fernando who was the Apostolic Admistrator of Tiruchirapalli and the division was finally decided by the Holy See during the time of Bishop Antony Devotta on Nov.10, 2003.

Bishop Antony Pappusamy:

Bishop Antony Pappusamy was born on Oct. 1, 1949 in Marambady in Dindigul diocese. He was ordained a priest on July 7, 1976, and ordained Titular Bishop of Zaba on Feb. 4, 1999. He was appointed the first Bishop of Dindigul on Nov. 10, 2003. He was the auxiliary bishop of Madurai Archdiocese before becoming the bishop of Dindigul. He is the chairman of Tamil Nadu Bishops’ Council’s commission for Clergy and Religious.

For information or donation contact
Bishop’s House, P.B. No: 62 St.Joseph’s Cathedral Campus, Dindigul – 62400. Tamilnadu, India.
PHONE: 0451-2441405, 2436712 FAX : 0451-2424405

 

Search Keyword: Diocese of Dindigul, Dindigul Diocese, Diocesan Directory, Bishop Antony Pappusamy, Dindigul, TamilNadu, Catholic Churches in Chennai, Churches in Chennai, Shrines in Chennai, Catholic Churches, Tamil Holy Bible, Holy Bible in tamil, Tamil Bible Online, Christian Songs, Christian Songs in Tamil

St Lourde’s Church, Trichy.

The Our Lady of Lourdes Church is located in the city of Tiruchirapalli in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The Roman Catholic Basilica is devoted to Our Lady of Lourdes.

St-Lourdes-Church-Trichy-6

The CAUVERY with its ceaseless and bounteous flow and the ROCKFORT with its timeless history seem to converge imperceptibly in the divine precincts of the hallowed CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES at the heart of ST.JOSEPH’S COLLEGE.

St.Joseph’s College church completed in A.D. 1895 JESUIT FATHERS presents a fascinating study of contrasting styles for a connoisseur of architecture as it is a replica of our Lady of Lourdes church – France.

Fr.Celle,S.J. Suggested the Gothic Style of architecture with its penchant for the pointed arch – the church top rises 62 feet above the nave.

Fr.Louis Garnier,S.J. Adopted the Norman style of architecture, with massive walls, round pillars and topped arches.

1890 – Construction work started
1895 – Foundation work completed
1903 – Completed and Blessed
1996 – Renovation work started
1998 – Renovation work completed & Blessed
1999 – Way of the Cross Erected & Blessed

 

St Lourdes Church Trichy 1

Statue of our lady at the entrance
“My Soul Magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour”

ARCHITECTURAL FEATURES OF THE CHURCH

- 5 Statues of Great Saints in the middle of the Tower.
- The Gothic Tower filled with artistic petal like flowers and dolls in the shape of pet animals.
- The Chimney Bell at a height of 90 feet.
- Colourful stained glass windows depicting the life of Jesus, Jesuit Saints and Evangelists.
- Grotto of our Heart of Jesus on the right side and grotto of our Lady on the left side at the entrance.
- 14 stations of the Way of the Cross on the inner church road.

St Lourdes Church Trichy 2

The Church on a Feast day illuminated with Lights

St Lourdes Church Trichy 3

The Holy ALTAR

St Lourdes Church Trichy 4

The inner view of the church

MASS TIMINGS:

HOLY MASS

WEEK DAYS:
MORNING – 5.30 am & 6.30 am
EVENING – 6.30 pm

SUNDAYS:
MORNING – 5.15 am, 6.15 am & 7.30 am
EVENING – 6.30 pm

Thursdays – 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm – Charismatic prayer service
Fridays – 6.00 pm – Special novena for the Sacred Heart
Saturdays – 6.00 pm – Rosary, litany, special mass of our Lady of Lourdes

Sundays
10.00 am to 1.00 pm – Evangelistic prayers for the power of the Holy Spirit.
6.00 pm – Exposition of the various books of the Bible

FEAST DAYS:
11th FEBRUARY – FEAST OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES
Novena, Special Mass, Car Procession in and around Mainguard Gate

19th MARCH – FEAST OF St.JOSEPH
Patron of the College

31st JULY – FEAST OF St.IGNATIUS
The Founder of the Society of Jesus

3rd DECEMBER – FEAST OF St.FRANCIS XAVIER
Patron of the Missions
IMPORTANT SEASONS OF THE YEAR :

LENTEN SEASON:
Way of the Cross – Daily (abbreviated)
Special Way of the Cross on Fridays
Retreat for specific groups

HOLY WEEK:
Special Holy Week Services

MAY
Devotion to Our Lady : Rosary, Litany and Special Mass
Daily Car Procession within the Campus
Saturdays : Car Procession around the College road and Special Mass on 31st May

JUNE
Devotion to the SACRED HEART OF JESUS
Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus will be celebrated in a special way.

SEPTEMBER
BIBLE MONTH

DECEMBER
ADVENT SEASON
Christmas – Carol Services, Special Mass on X’mas Day

St-Lourdes-Church-Trichy-5

Mary our mother
Bless you and your family abundantly &
Grant you the showers of her loving kindness

VISIT OUR LADY OF LOURDES CHURCH

Contact Us:
Our Lady of Lourdes Church,
St. Joseph’s College Campus,
Tiruchirapalli (Trichy), Tamil Nadu. INDIA.

For more information Please visit:
http://www.sjctni.edu/Church/history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Lourdes_Church,_Tiruchirapalli

 

Photo Courtesy / Source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploring_india/6642186557/

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=1383&with_photo_id=43157351&order=date_desc&user=4195347
Photos by Nicola e Pina India 2010

 

Keywords: Our Lady of Lourdes, Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church, St Lourde’s Church Trichy, St Lourde’s Church Tiruchirapalli, Our Lady of Lourdes basilica, Our Lady of Lourdes Church Tiruchirapalli, St. Joseph’s College Church, Trichy Church, Roman Catholic Churches in Trichy, RC Churches in Trichy, Roman Catholic Church in India, Churches in Tiruchirappalli district.

Ransom Church, Kanyakumari

Our lady of Ransom Church

The Kanyakumari Parish almost coincides with the civil village of Kanyakumari. Archeological evidences suggest that St. Thomas, a disciple of Jesus Christ visited this soil. In 1542 St. Francis Xavier came here. In 1862, Kanyakumari became a separate parish. In 1914 the church was constructed. The length of the Church is 153 feet, breath 53 feet and height is 153 feet. All these depict the breads of the Holy Rosary. The parish has nearly 13,000 people organized into 86 Basic Christian Communities.

History of Kanyakumari Parish

Kanyakumari village is situated in the District of Kanyakumari which is the southern most part of the Indian subcontinent. The Kanyakumari Parish almost coincides with the civil village of Kanyakumari. It is closely associated with the mainstream Catholic faith in India.

There were archeological evidences suggesting that St. Thomas, one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ visited this soil. The tomb stones unearthed at Kumari Muttom, near Kanyakumari contain evidences to show that Catholics were living there for many centuries. The tomb stones dated 1496 contain the edict of the local ruler granting tax exemptions to the residents of Kumari Muttom and authorizing levy of a cess from the fishermen in Kumari Muttom. The aggregate income thus generated had to be used to keep the lights of the church burning.

The second inscription dated 1526 AD reads “on the twentieth day of the moth of Panguni king Siraval Muttambiranar was pleased to order Muttakangan and Illayakangan and others among the subjects living at the place of Muttom. We having been pleased to put a stop to riots, quarrels, injustice, tyranny, blackmail and confiscations of fish, they shall here after live here as in an asylum for the oppressed”.

In 1542 when St. Francis Xavier came to Cape Comerin (Kanyakumari) he was delighted to find ‘Our Lady of Delights Grotto’, at Kanyakumari. Then it became a center for mission activities of the Jesuits from Thoothoor to Ramanathapuram. It is believed that Our Lady of Delights Grotto, in which St. Francis Xavier worshiped, later became the church of Our Lady of Ransom. Our Lady of Ransom is the Patron of the congregation in Spain which redeemed the Christians from the Muslim invasion in the year 1218. The people of Kanyakumari were delighted to combine the name Ransom with Delight and call their patron as Alangara Upakara Matha. The wooden alter elegantly depicts the artistic Roman Art. This church remains part and parcel of the new church. The foundation stone for the new church was laid on 31st May 1900 by Rev. Fr. John Consolvez. Mr. Pakiam Pillai of the Vadakkankulam was the architect of the new church. It is the model of ancient Gothic Art and culture. The length of the new Church is 153 feet, breath 53 feet and height is 153 feet. All these depict the breads of the Holy Rosary.

In 1862 Kanyakumari was established as a separate parish and many eminent priests have served as parish priests of the church. In 1914 Msgr. Vincent Fdo celebrated the First Mass in the newly built Church. In 1956 Rev. Fr. Josaphath Maria completed the front elevation and the pinnacles. In 2006 the parish celebrated the golden jubilee of the erection of the golden cross and 106th year of laying foundation of the church.

At present Kanyakumari parish has 2,850 Catholic families, which are organised into 88 Basic Christian Communities. The total Number of the Catholics amounts to 12,839. There are 21 pious associations. The parish established an elementary school in the year 1882 and now 540 children are studying in the vernacular language. The parish has a Higher Secondary School established in the year 1921, where 1350 students are studying.

The spiritual life of the parishioners is well attended too under the able leadership of the parish priest. The co-pastors and a few guest priests constantly render spiritual services to the people. The Sunday Catechism is well organized, nearly 800 children attend the Sunday Catechism.

Tsunami which struck the coastal villages of Tamil Nadu on 26th December 2004 had great impact on Kanyakumari village too. Thanks to the Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs), Religious Organizations, other establishments and philanthropists for their great yeomen services in relief and rehabilitation of the tsunami affected people. A remarkable achievement is nearly 750 houses for the poor fishermen of Kanyakumari were established in addition to the support extended to reestablish their sources of livelihood.

The local catholic church at Kanyakumari is growing day by day in the love of Christ and ever pray for the blessings of our Lord Jesus Christ through the interceding of Alangara Upakara Matha.

History of the Flag Mast:

In 1917 a foreign merchant ship got struck to the sand shore of Leepuram, Kanyakumari. The strenuous efforts of the crew and other experts to restore it did not help them. Hence they decided to abandon the ship and went in for an auction.

Flag-Mast

One Mr. Kayathan Villavarayan a merchant from Tuticorin paid the highest bid and assumed the ownership of the abandoned ship. He had donated the iron mast to Our Lady of Ransom Church, Kanyakumari. The kattumarams of Kanyakumari were brought to Leepuram to take the mast to Kanyakumari. It is said that as soon as the mast was loaded on the kattumarams, the mast together with the kattaumarams sunk into the sea water. After a few minutes, the kattumarams and the mast began to float. The bye standers were astonished to see the grace of Our Lady of Ransom. Then they took the mast to Kanyakumari by road.

When the mast was taken to the church yard, another major difficulty was faced regarding the erection of the mast. They consulted the experts and engineers and came to the decision of inserting it into a hole cut out of a large stone. The stone cutters were approached and they searched for such a huge stone that could serve this particular purpose. In spite of rigorous search, they could not find out any suitable stone. It is believed that Our Lady of Ransom appeared to a stone cutter in dream and indicated the location of a suitable stone. The stone cutter accompanied by the people of Kanyakumari reached the location indicated and they were surprised to see a big stone, befitting the purpose.

They took the stone, made a bore hole and inserted the mast into it. To make the fitting more concrete and long lasting, they poured molted led and erected the mast.

Feast of Our Lady and the Golden Car Procession

Every year the feast of our Lady of Ransom is celebrated for 10 days in the month of December. The feast of Our Lady of Ransom begins with the flag hoisting on the following Friday immediately after the feast of St. Francis Xavier, Kottar which falls on 3rd of December. The first day of the feast begins with the flag hoisting. During the festivals, every day morning festival mass is celebrated and in the evening there will be benediction with special prayers and preaching. The eight day evening Corpus Christi Procession is held with due decorum. The ninth day evening special vespers and celebrations are held. The culmination of the feast is the golden car procession. There are two golden cars which are taken on the 9th and 10th days of the feasts. Our Lady of delight is taken in procession in the 1st car, which was made in the year 1798. St. Joseph, the spouse of Mary is taken in procession in the 2nd car, which was made in the year 1833. Like any other coastal village of Kottar diocese, the festival is celebrated with full spirit and all pomp and glory.

Mass & Prayer

Sunday: Holy Mass 5.30 am, 7.00 am and 4.00 pm

Week days: Holy Mass 6.15 am

First Friday: 
Rosary 6.30 pm
One hour Adoration from 7.00 to 8.00 pm

First Saturday:
Rosary 6 pm
Holy Mass 6.30 pm
Healing Prayers 7.30 pm
Benediction 8 pm

All other Saturdays:
Rosary 6 pm
Holy Mass 6.30 pm
Healing Prayers 7.30 pm

Contact:
Our lady of Ransom church
Kanyakumari 629702
Tel: 04652-246323, 246295

For more information please visit: www.ransomchurchkanyakumari.org

Source: http://ransomchurchkanyakumari.org/

Keyword: Ransom church Kanyakumari, Our lady of Ransom church, Kanyakumari Church, Catholic Churches, Roman Catholic Churches, RC Churches, Churches in Madurai, Churches in Tamilnadu, Churches in India

Sayalgudi Chruch

Nallu Mukku, Manjolai

Nallu Mukku, Manjolai

Infant Jesus Church, Kurukkuchalai

Infant Jesus Church, Kurukkuchalai

Our Lady of Angels Church, Karaikal, Pondicherry

This is one of the architectural beauty of French culture. Our lady of Angel’s Church standing impressively on the Church street. In 1739 the Holy Angles Church was built by the French. Again in 1863 the church was beautified with the decorative marble Altar, the beautiful stained glass windows and having impressive look with its 133 feet tall tower, the tallest landmark of the town, housing three huge clocks and five large bells. The melodious ringing of the bells could be heard with in a radius of 5 kms. On 15th August every year that Catholic chruch celebrates the ” Thetheravu Mata” (Mother who consoles the afflicted) festival when the status of the blessed Virgin is taken out in procession.
The church of Our Lady of Angels built in 1891 is the chief place of worship for catholics in the town. The Thetheravu madha festival is celebrated on the 15 of August every year. The festival commences with the flag hoisting ceremony on the 6 th August. On the 10th day, the statue of the Blessed Virgin, mounted on a beautifully decorated car, is taken out in procession along the main streets surrounding the church.

 

Annai Velankanni Church (Tamil Nadu): It is the famous Christian Pilgrim Shrine, 26 kms South of Karaikal.

MELAKASAKUDI: One Roman Catholic church is here and celebrating 10 day annual festival in June.

Our Lady of Angels Church,
Karaikal, Church Street,
Pondicherry State,
Pin : 609 602
Tel.Ph: +91 4368 222075

Holy family Chruch, Ettamadai, Nagercoil

Holy family Chruch,
Ettamadai, Nagercoil, Kanyakumari District.