Rev. Fr. Carmalata started the construction of this Church at Covelong (Kovalam) some time between 1770 – 1780. He laid the foundation, raised the walls and died. The church remained incomplete for about 20 years. Sir. John D’ Monte completed the construction of this church between 1800 – 1808. It was erected as a Parish in 1808. According to the Covelong tradition, certain Mrs. Mary D’ Monte who was in a state of mental aberration left Madras and wandered about in Covelong. Our Lady appeared to Sir. John D’ Monte and promised to heal his wife Mrs. Mary D’ Monte, if he would build a church in her honour in Covelong. Accordingly the church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is situated on the shores Bay of Bengal. The Parish Annual Feast is celebrated on 16th July. The year 2008, marked the bicentenary of this traditional Parish.
Mount Carmel Church (Estd. 1808),
Covelong P O, Kancheepuram (Kanchipuram / Kanchi) District – 603 112
Tel: 044 – 274 72 234
For more details, Please visit: www.chengaidiocese.org